Friday, November 6, 2009

I'm not Rick Steves.

I'm not a photographer, nor am I travel writer, but I thought you might enjoy some highlights from the trip hubby and I took about a month ago. We attended a wedding about thirty miles (?) outside New York City and then spent one night in the city.*

We stayed at the Hilton in Rye, NY, and I tell you, I was quite taken with the pool area there. I wanted to take photos during daylight, but that is when the pool is being used by families with small children. I would have felt awkward snapping photos in that scenario. Both the pictures I snapped turned out like junk but please note the elaborate lattice work, the carpeting of green astroturf, and the elaborate floral window treatments with coordinating chaise cushions.

When I looked at the pool area, I could totally picture women (at some unspecified time in past) lounging, boozing, smoking, and discussing the Scarsdale diet (Scarsdale is near Rye).

The wedding itself was beautiful and the reception was a true celebration. Fantastic music, lots of dancing, and an abundance of wonderful food. I should have photographed all the appetizers, but I was too busy eating them, especially miniature slices of hot pretzel bread and their accompanying cheese sauce. I did snap a random photo of the dessert served in addition to the wedding cake.

On Sunday, we headed to New York City where we rested, walked around, visited Actchy and Co. (including the adorable "Acey") in their new digs, and went out for a nice dinner.

That afternoon, we happened upon a Polish Pride Parade and paused to appreciate hubby's heritage (his mom's maiden name ends with a "ski").

That evening, we ate dinner at Perilla, the restaurant of Harold Dieterle, the original and coolest Top Chef. Our favorite thing was the Farro Risotto which involves artichoke confit, parmesan, and chili-grape salad. We didn't order the risotto but our server knew it was our first visit and brought it to us anyway (for free!) because she thought we should try it. Delicious!

After dinner, we walked for a bit before getting a cab back to the hotel. Look what we walked past: the place where Harry met Sally!


My only advice to those traveling to NYC in the near future is to beware of the televisions inside the cabs (maybe there are televisions in cabs in every city now, I wouldn't know). If you are prone to car sickness, you really shouldn't watch, no matter how intrigued you are by the segment on the art appraiser who found herself out of work and began appraising art for a consignment store that raises funds for HIV. Just look out the window or close your eyes instead. Trust me.




*I didn't include any photos of the wonderful people we saw and hung out with as I only violate the privacy of my husband and sons by posting of photos of them without their permission.

5 comments:

E... said...

So jealous you got to eat with Harold, at least in spirit. This whole trip sounds like so much fun. You deserved it!

msh said...

i can't believe you ate at harold's restaurant!!!! i am beyond jealous. what did you order? did you catch a glimpse of him? i need details.
(and p.s. i'm glad you had a nice getaway with your man.)

Actchy said...

Come back!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about the tv's in the cabs! Matt was fascinated with the map feature and for some reason I couldn't take my eyes off of it no matter how hard I tried.

CaraBee said...

Going up to NYC for a day trip in a couple of weeks. Its been a few years since I've been, so I'm pretty excited. I had no idea there were tvs in the cabs. I'm just hoping to get in the Cash Cab!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs