Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A long, long time ago . . .

. . . I wrote this post about winning a $5 itunes gift card and asked for music suggestions. One sagacious NTB reader offered some advice, "It's a fine balance. You want to think seriously about this decision and pick 5 good songs. Don't be tempted to choose a Color Me Badd song just because you got some freebies. On the other hand, there is the safety net of knowing that do-overs are available, for the low price of 99 cents a piece." Excellent advice, though misplaced insofar as I already own a Color Me Badd CD and thus would not need to waste the gift card on it.*

There are plenty of great song suggestions in the comments of that post, and I have used a more recent $15 itunes gift card to buy some of them, as well as some others recommended by the good folks at Entertainment Weekly. I will be offering my thoughts on this new playlist in an upcoming post.

I thought you might be interested in knowing what songs, when left to my own devices, I have purchased (with credit card and/or gift cards) for my ipod:

Ashlee Simpson "Autobiography" -- bought this several years ago, but I still kind of like it.

Big George Wembley "The Office UK Theme Tune -- Handbags and Gladrags"

Britney Spears "Lucky" -- recent purchase

Cat Stevens "Tea for the Tillerman" -- because it is the theme for Extras on HBO -- apparently Ricky Gervais is quite the musical influence for me

David Cassidy "I Think I Love You" -- purchased a few months ago after seeing him on Oprah and remembering I liked this song

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova "Falling Slowly" -- because I loved the movie Once

Sly and the Family Stone "Que Sera, Sera" -- purchased several years ago, though not the version I wanted, inspired by my cousin's choice to dance with her dad to this song at her wedding

Lionel Richie "I Call It Love" -- love Lionel Richie, when I listen to this song I imagine that I am roller skating and feel happy

Carole King "Where You Lead" -- reminds me of Gilmore Girls and of my friend Sara G. and her daughter who like to sing it together

The Jets "You Got It All" -- not as great as the version recorded by my friends and I at Kings Island Soundtracks around 1988 or so, but still . . .

Sheryl Crow "Strong Enough" -- have to like a song with the word "hell" in it

Helen Reddy "I Am Woman" -- for when I need to feel fired up, my mom and I used to sing this in the car all the time

Helen Reddy "Candle on the Water" -- Actchy and Dr. Molly, you may recall that I once asked you guys to sing this at my wedding (many years before I had a groom in mind)


CaraBee, your post inspired this post! Thanks!

So, there you go NTB readers, draw whatever inferences you wish from this list. But do tell: what are you listening to these days?



*Color Me Badd CD is not loaded on to our itunes . . . not yet.

10 comments:

CaraBee said...

You know at least one song I'm listening to. :) I love, love, love Once and listen to the soundtrack quite often. I'm so all over the place with my music, though. I started listening to this group, Girl Talk. It's rap, but lots of samples from songs I know and love. Listen to it, even if you don't like rap, you'll probably think it's fun. What else? Bon Iver. Mgmt. Nickel Creek. Going down my recent playlist from Rhapsody: Siouxsie and the Banshees (takes me back...), Supertramp (really takes me back), The Church-Under the Milky Way (great song), and Coldplay. God, I love Coldplay. Cat Sevens, gosh, we listened to him during every road trip as a kid. Him and Harry Chapin. Good times.

Anonymous said...

I wish my playlist was a little more up-to-date...I am often a little ashamed when we have company and my ipod plays between Indigo Girls, Jack Johnson and Paul Simon pretty much all night long. I did get the new Cold Play CD for Christmas and LOVE IT!! That is what I have been listening to in my car (actually mini-van) when I am not listening to Laurie Berkner. I am also pretty fond of the Juno Soundtrack, but neither of the above have been added to the ipod yet.
Speaking of itunes...as a "night of fun" for my hubbie and I (prepregnancy) we used to put the girl in bed, pour big glasses of wine and go down to the bar (in the basement, not down the street) and just go to itunes to listen to songs, it is like having a juke box in your basement!! We, of course, would end up spending around 20$ on songs we "had to have" and depending on how much wine we had consumed they ranged from Elvis, to the Grateful Dead to 50 Cent. So the ipod does have a little bit of variety...
Any suggestions of good new music would be welcome

Amy said...

Big fan of Kate Voegele, Gavin Degraw, Rascal Flatts, Journey and Bon Jovi-all of which keep me motivated and/or awake at work. Also like Driver (a local Austin band).

Actchy said...

I must admit that I've been listening to the "Free to be, You and Me" album. Even though at 5 weeks, my son doesn't really need "children's music." However, I was listening to "Free to Be" on my own, as an adult, long before Acey was in the works. At least now I have an excuse?

Anonymous said...

love the post! people's musical preferences fascinate me! i have recently been obsessed with the whole "once" soundtrack, so i'm quite pleased to see you purchased a track from that one! also currently obsessed with the weepies, griffin house, amos lee, and that jason mraz song, "i'm yours". josie calls that one mommy's song as i listen to it so much. i must admit, i don't tend to stray too far outside of my singer/songwriter favorite genre, but it makes me happy, so there it is.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the Curious George soundtrack and have started into some Christian music of late. I'm in a real rut with music right now....there's a whole lot of Wiggles and Silly Songs going on in my car and home. This is where I am right now, so I embrace it. Rita

Steph said...

Once (the movie and music) is one of my favorites, too - and I adore that song! I have the soundtrack and was listening to it last night.

Anonymous said...

I really wish that I was more into music. I will listen to almost anything and enjoy it. I try to write down songs I like and then purchase them. I think I will buy "I think I love you" now... Thanks for the suggestion. BDavin

Anonymous said...

Hubby and I were in San Diego last week out in Point Lomo and I had to sing Candle on the Water while visiting the lighthouse. LOVE THAT SONG! I am also a fan of ONCE. Did you catch Swell on Austin City Limits last week. They are as adorable as ever. As for what I am listening to lately.... Wicked and the Killers.

Anonymous said...

ONCE is such a GREAT movie! So great. The whole soundtrack is awesome. Well worth the 9.99 on iTunes.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs