Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hey hey Paula . . .

I don't want to marry you Paula Deen (since we're both married already), though I have always enjoyed you when I happen to catch you on the Food Network. And, last year when you were on Oprah and your food processor malfunctioned and food was a-flying, I cracked up right along with you. I've never made any of your recipes, though many of them do tempt me. Like others who have seen your show(s) or read your magazine, I have noticed that many of your specialties seem gratuitously fattening. I understand that butter, cheese, mayonnaise, and cream cheese are tasty. Believe me, I understand! My assumption is that viewers of your show (like diners--myself included--at fast food restaurants) are responsible for making their own decisions about what kinds of food they choose to eat. After all, you're not pretending that your food is hearty-healthy or "figure friendly," to borrow Rachael Ray's term.

I have to say though, Paula, I caught your show on Saturday when I was feeding my Little Bit. The theme was something about brunch with girlfriends. I saw you make a dish that struck me as downright irresponsible, if not criminal. It was a "Lady's Brunch Burger" -- a hamburger topped with a fried egg and two slices of bacon. I'm watching thinking, "Hmm, a bit heavy on protein" but I'm not disgusted or anything until . . . until, Paula, you used two glazed donuts (looked like Krispy Kreme type donuts) to serve as the buns for this "Lady's Brunch Burger." Are you kidding me? You knew you were being bad; in fact, you and your girlfriend who was hosting with you, laughed at your own rebelliousness as you bit into the burger. You may have even said something about being "arrested" for that burger.

I'm wondering if the "Lady's Brunch Burger" was supposed to be served along with the chocolate chip pancakes with cinnamon cream, the baked cheesy garlic grits, and the six inch yogurt parfait? I eat more and more recklessly than most women I know, and I cannot imagine digging in to that burger, much less serving it at a brunch for my girlfriends.

I like you Paula, I do. I'm not perfect and I'm certainly not a paragon of healthy cooking and eating, not even close. But I think you have the personality and cooking chops to engage your viewers without preparing the likes of the Lady's Brunch Burger on your show.

That's all.

Note to readers: Please no piling on Paula in the comments section.

13 comments:

CaraBee said...

I've only watched Paula a couple of times, but she is always a hoot. Not piling on her, but that cheeseburger sounds awful. The egg grossed me out a little, but then the donut completely lost me. Why, Paula, why?

Bailey said...

Donuts, y'all?

You had me until the donuts. A fried egg (and bacon) on a burger is delicious. If you ever go to Fatburger, I recommend theirs.

I don't mind Paula. I've made her strawberry shortcake (delicious but I just couldn't bring myself to put the recommended TEASPOON of sugar on top of each biscuit) and I want to make a chocolate pie she made on one show.

E... said...

Can I just say it's so good to see a return to random, funny posts here at NTB? Welcome to 2009!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy Paula and make some of her recipes. She does love to put butter and sugar in everything, tho. Have you ever had one of her Gooey cakes? My sis made the pumpkin version last Xmas. It was delious even tho it sent me into a gallbladder attack and I had to go to the ER and soon after have surgery. I'm not dissin' PD, it was just the fatty item that sent me over the edge. :o
So, no more gooey cakes for me.

PITA said...

Oh Paula...that is a bit irresponsible. I have seen a similar episode where she makes a lasagna and then places a huge piece in between to pieces of garlic bread. It was just too much...I do admire her carefree attitude towards her diet.

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is too much. I have to think that if I were to splurge on all those calories in one meal, that I would want to enjoy and savor each item individually. Call me a purist, but I can't imagine a donut tastes better with egg on it than it does solo.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the April Fools Show mistakenly was aired on New Years. My cooking creativity would not go in that direction in a million years. I do love how PD loves life and doesn't seem to take herself too seriously. What a waste of a krispy kreme donut! m

Anonymous said...

I agree with whomever...donut good seperately, egg bad on burger. PD is a diet train reck and I never make anything either, but she does suck you in for 30 min or so...
Melissa

Anonymous said...

I can't lie...I actually have several of her cookbooks. I like to make her stuff when I have people over for dinner. Generally, they don't ask me about my ingredients...so, they don't know how many calories they are ingesting. Evil, I know.

Anyway, I have to agree with all the other comments. The "burger" sounded awesome (and was making me super hungry!)...until the donut part. That is the most random combo ever and I can't imagine it would even taste good?!?

LBS

Steph said...

Yeah, the donuts don't do it for me!

cake said...

the reason the donut doesn't work is because it is SWEET, and SWEET doesn't mix well with burger. yuck. it only makes sense as comedy.

Anonymous said...

hilarious!!!

Anonymous said...

Okay seriously that doesn't even sound good the whole sugar with the eggs and bacon. I love to cook and her show is very entertaining but I can do without the over indulgence of some of the chefs on the network. I can't lie I ate a donut this morning with the girls so you no I am not afraid of those foods but too much is never good!! B

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs