Monday, January 12, 2009

"My toe is sick."

Several years ago before we had kids and possibly before we were married, hubby and I were hanging out with some friends at their house after their two young boys were supposed to be in bed. As we were chatting, we heard some little footsteps, turned around, and noticed the older of their sons--maybe around 3 at the time?--creeping down the stairs. "My tummy hurts," he announced. I was concerned for a second until our friends' expressions reminded us that "my tummy hurts" is one of the all-time classic lines for those seeking to stall or avoid a task like going to bed. For some reason, our friends' son's stalling got to me, "They're actual grown ups now," I thought, "with a house and dogs and kids . . . who can already play the 'tummy hurts' card."

Well, guess what, readers, minus the dogs, it seems we're actual grown-ups around here now. The past few weeks, Bub has been honing his stalling and avoidance tactics. Bedtime is already a two-person job. Typically, hubby goes up first and loads the bases -- they read books, play some games I don't understand (like one called "doggies"), and say prayers. Then, four out of five nights, I am the clean-up hitter. First, I am instructed, "Lay in my room mommy." So I lie with Bub on his toddler bed--hoping it won't collapse --for about a minute or two. I then pretend I'm leaving until I hear "Sit in my room, Mommy." I move to the glider and sit. Thirty seconds later, he joins me and we rock for a while. Then he whispers, "Put me in my bed." My job is then to carry him like a baby to the toddler bed, tuck him in, and kiss him good night. That used to be it, but now Bub is learning to mix things up a bit. I may be poised to close his door to head downstairs when I hear a "Mommy . . . Merry Christmas. I love you." Very sweet. And sweet five seconds later when he says it again, and maybe a little less so ten seconds later when he bids me, "Happy Halloween Day." Recently, "Happy New Year is also in the rotation." But we also have some other classics like "I cold." I'll retuck and add a third blanket in response, only to have him call for my husband five minutes later to report, "Too many blankets. Other classic stalling lines, include: "I need Bandaid," "Shh, Larry (Cabbage Patch) is sleeping downstairs," the classic "I thirsty," "I need blow my nose," and my recent favorite, "My toe is sick."

Stalling and avoidance are not just tactics used at bedtime. When it is time to clean up toys, sit on the potty, or leave the house, I am likely to hear either "I cold," "I too tired," or "I working."*

After batting "clean-up" tonight, I still had to head upstairs two additional times. The first time because Bub was "cold." The second time because Bub "really have to go potty now, it coming out." He is wearing big boy pants during the day now but most days still wets one or more pair. He wears a diaper for naps and bedtime. In a charitable mood, I guess, I let Bub come downstairs to use the potty, assuming he was just stalling or that he had already peed in his diaper. But, what do you know, his diaper was dry and he sat down on the potty and did his thing, NTB.

I guess I'm not the only one growing up around here.

What do your kids do to stall and avoid? When do you feel like "a grown up"?


*"Working" usually means making a mess of some kind: cutting/ripping up paper, playing with play-doh, making puzzle pieces rain, emptying the sock bin, etc.

15 comments:

cake said...

once again, you got me laughing so hard, carl had to come in and check on me, to make sure i wasn't crying. he wasn't sure, since there were tears coming out of my eyes, but eventually, he was convinced by my smile...the line that got me?
"really have to go potty now, it
coming out."

i have definitely heard the "my tummy hurts" by now, and i remember using it as a kid. i never said i felt one, when i didn't but it seemed i could always conjure up some sort of vague tummy ache as a child.

my response to cosmo, about any complaints at bedtime has been "well then, you better get some sleep."

since he stopped napping though, bedtime is much easier. he's almost always too tired to put up much resistance.

Anonymous said...

ok, first off, i'm annoyed at facebook for taking away some of my ntb time. and i'm very happy to be reading your wonderful writing again. love it.

we're actually in a pretty good bedtime phase (though i shouldn't have said that outloud, or written it down, or whatever). but we just put to bed a huge battle of "i'm scared of the dark. can you turn my light on? can you leave the bathroom light on? i can't see anything! what if i have a bad dream? why are you turning the lights off? i'm just going to turn the light off when you leave! etc." but after a few weeks of leaving the bathroom light on, getting scolded for turning it off while he was sleeping, and then leaving it on all night again, we are, as of last night, down to just one nightlight again. alleluia.

E... said...

A most recent reminder that we are indeed grownups was on Dec. 30, when J and I stayed up until midnight, playing my geeky Wii trivia game, and I asked him if we could just count it for New Year's.
Bedtime is similar for us, though most nights I take care of N. and don't have to get in the midst of O's stalling tactics. They include some of the Bub's favorites, plus requests to be have "bedtime toys" piled all on top of him until he is completely covered.

Anonymous said...

This was super funny. I read about Bub's bday and stalling tactics one right after the other. Both were really cute, and at parent teacher conferences, parents would always tell me things I say that their child says at home. When Bub gets a little older and has homework and such, you will eventually hear, "That's not how Mrs... says to do it." or "Mrs.... says you shouldn't..." It's actually quite humerous because you wonder if they're even paying any attention to you at all while you're teaching!

and I feel like a grown up now that we have a Mortgage. and life insurance, and I have to think about my medical plan and pay bills...Oh and randomly, I felt really grown up once we got a "formal dining room" with a china cabinet and buffet table and real expensive furnature.

Anonymous said...

It made me laugh out loud to read that Bub had a sick toe!!

We don't have any nightly stalling techniques yet, unless screaming counts. Although, our little one goes to bed so early that even the crying is usually over around 6:30 or 7:00. Then, we really feel like grown ups!

LBS

CaraBee said...

No grownups around here yet. We're still in the "if she doesn't feel like going to bed, she cries" mode.

However, I stall about going to bed. Every. Night. Those quiet hours after Sophie is fast asleep are when I get my blog/FB time. At bedtime, Neil comes in to the office and says, "Time for bed!" and I'll say "I'm coming, one minute." Ten minutes later, he comes back. "I'm going up, are you coming?" "Yes, I'm just shutting down..." Ten minutes later, I finally come upstairs. This happens pretty much every night. If my child is a staller, she will have come by it honestly.

Anonymous said...

those tummy aches have been around for generations. sore toes are perhaps a whole new inspiration m

Anonymous said...

forgot to mention that the first time i felt like a grown up was when i was buying baby food jars for the first time. and now i sort of miss being in that aisle.

Mrs F with 4 said...

We have Scary Shadows, Wrong PJ's, Itchy Labels, and most dreadful of all, You Washed my Blankie and Now It's All CLEAN!

This last leads to a chorus of sniffing from three of the four (the other is too young to join in. Yet.), and confirmation that yes, the Wicked Mother did indeed, wash those wretched blankies before they grew legs and walked off.

Steph said...

Oh, yes - I look at myself sometimes and think, "Wow - what was my mom doing at this age?" Kinda scary!

I hope the toe is beter soon!

Anonymous said...

The only time I ever feel like a grown-up is when I'm preparing our taxes... as for stall tactics, my boys love to psyche me out and say, "Mom, did you remember to lock the van" or "I think I left the toothpaste cap off" or "I forgot to put the toilet seat down". I of course being somewhat anal retentive, give in and let them finish off whatever needs closure. Smart little buggers...

Amy said...

I laughed about the sick toe so hard I was almost crying. Of course it all came back to haunt me this morning when Annika said she needed to go to the dr. because she was sick. When I asked her what was sick she said "my feet." Seriously, do they teach this stuff at pre-school?!

Anonymous said...

I am learning every night about our bedtime routine. It has gotten better and better with G and M for the most part. Baths are a requirement for getting ready for bed. Then lotions and ointments for all of the skin issues. Each one takes turn playing with the little guy. We read books, say prayers and brush teeth. Molly's favorite thing is "Give me a big hug and a big kiss." Then she needs everyone do this in the bed especially Vincent. It is cute and she loves it but it is an added distraction to the evening routine. Overall the silliness is the only part I can't stand at bedtime. BDavin I love that Charlie is using the holidays to distract...

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord, we have hit this phase just recently ourselves and get the same requests... along with "mommy can you open the door on my cabinet?" "are my nightlights on the table?" (3 nightlights, NOT plugged in that have to be sitting on her nightstand - seriously??) "can you put a book/teddy bear/dog/minnie mouse...on my bed?"
we have begun using our own tactic though...when we get to the door, we say okay, I will do one thing for you, what do you want it to be because I am not coming back in even if you cry.. and she gets her one request. I would say it works 5/7 nights a week and many times we honor 2-3 requests before we leave, but we rarely ahve to come back upstairs, so I will take it and be grateful...
Don't know when/if I feel like a grown-up - oh yeah, when I am the "mom" at school and not the teacher - WEIRD!

Sue and Randy said...

My little staller loves to play "games" with Mommy, which involve acting out one of the princess movies (we are currently showing The Little Mermaid). My favorite is Sleeping Beauty, where I'm Prince Phillip and Amanda is Aurora, but from her deep sleep manages to hold up her penguin to play the dragon at the end of the movie. Anyway--it got so elaborate and long that we now use a timer--after 5 minutes, game over, kiss goodnight. It is actually working. She loves to push the buttons to get the timer going.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs