Thursday, January 1, 2009

Second Verse, Same as the First

I don't know whether to be encouraged or discouraged that my resolutions for 2009 are so similar to my resolutions for 2008. In case you didn't feel like clicking to read about my 2008 resolutions, I will summarize:

1. Finish my dissertation by June.
2. Clean house.
3. Buy less stuff.
4. Use what I have.

I finished my dissertation by October 21st, the absolute last day I had to do so. I made some strides in cleaning house (decluttering), buying less stuff, and using what I have . . . but not enough. And thus, I want to introduce you to my 2009 project, a new blog entitled: Just Use It or Lose It. Please visit and cheer me on as I spend a year proving that I have everything I need and then some.

Resolutions for 2009:
1. Finding ways to lose or creatively use the stuff crowding my life.
2. Start working out and eating more reasonably (left off the 2008 list because I was pregnant and knew I wouldn't bother, even though I should have).
3. Continue to read for pleasure.
4. Buy less stuff.
5. Practice hospitality. I love having people over, and I want to do so more often. I have to remind myself that people don't expect a spic and span house or a gourmet meal. It's the company and conversation that counts.

I hope it goes without saying that I want to be the best wife, mom, daughter, friend, niece, neighbor, citizen, and cousin that I can be.

What is/are your resolution(s) for 2009?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

New Year's resolutions for me include: improve our household recycling efforts, learn to use my new sewing machine, and make more "dates" with the people that I love and don't see often enough. This is a work is progress and I've been pondering what other things I should do this year all morning. I'll keep you updated. Happy New Year! Rita

Anonymous said...

I must admit I seldom write down New Years Resolutions but this is the year of change. Mine include: 1. quiet/meditation time a first priority. Time spent in this way provides the impetus for a peaceful, productive day.2. Eat more healthy. Weight loss is not necessarily my goal, more look and feel younger. This would include more water, less classic coke. 3. Dream big and keep the vision, I want to improve my ability to visualize how I want my life to be. Hopefully this will equate to a simple, peaceful life and I will throw in laugh more often to keep things fun. Blessings in the New Year to all. m

CaraBee said...

I generally don't make resolutions because nobody ever follows through, but this year I have decided to put together a big to do list. If nothing else, it keeps these goals in sight. I truly don't expect to mark off every one, but if I even get a majority of them, I will be happy with myself.

Happy New Year!

Actchy said...

Resolved: to remember to point the little one's penis south when I change his diaper?

cake said...

those are some good ones. i also recently realized that i want to have people over more often. i love cooking for others and it is a good way to get the place cleaned up a little.

i resolve to check NTB and your new blog, daily!

Steph said...

I'm practicing #5 tomorrow morning. Wish me luck! PS - I'm gearing up for a long work trip, so I'm looking back at your book reviews for some plane reading!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs