Thursday, January 15, 2009

Clipped

With the exception of my cherished Entertainment Weekly, I have been letting all of my magazine subscriptions lapse. I really love reading magazines, but my penchant for clipping and saving pages has become overwhelming. My magazine clipping collection is evidence of the sort of good intentions that inspired my new blog Just Use It or Lose It. I intend to make the recipes I rip out of these magazines, to read the non-fiction books recommended, to follow the tips on making my abs tighter and my home more energy efficient, to start slashing my grocery bill, to host and decorate for themed parties, and to take steps to protect my family's health and make sure they are eating more healthy fats and whole grains . . . really I do. Unfortunately, such good intentions are littered all about the house.

So, in addition to cutting off my magazine subscriptions when they come due, is to begin releasing some of these clippings. Here goes:

1. O Magazine (not a subscriber, but just had to purchase the issue with Oprah's weight loss/weight gain cover) page featuring the TokyoMilk collection of fragrances. I was drawn in by one called "Let Them Eat Cake" and by the little images the adorn the bottles. O's beauty editors invite me to "Be beguiled!" without letting me know where I might obtain these little gems. And so, I'm over it.

2. Midwest Living's editor's letter for the February 2009 issue. This letter features the editor holding a stack of books with ties to the Midwest. I am a sucker for anything that clues me in to books and authors I might enjoy and so have held on to this page for several weeks now. I am going to add a few titles to the "To Read/Investigate/Consider" list I keep on my laptop desktop and then move on: Summer of Tiffany by Marjorie Hart and Class Ring (cannot read author's name). I have read a few of the books in the stack already, including two reviewed here at NTB: Loving Frank by Nancy Horan and She Got Up Off The Couch by Haven Kimmel.

3. Page from Entertainment Weekly's recent article in which industry folks were asked to re-vote on academy award winners from selected past years, including 1988. I was not that interested to learn that the new and entirely unofficial vote has Frances McDormand winning Best Actress in a Supporting Role for her performance in Mississippi Burning, as opposed to Geena Davis (the actual winner) for The Accidental Tourist. The reason I saved the page was because I was so surprised to see that Working Girl had been nominated for Best Picture and Melanie Griffith, Sigourney Weaver and Joan Cusack for their performances in Working Girl. I've always loved that movie, but never thought of it as an Academy Award nominee. Glad to know that.

4. Scrap of paper from unknown women's magazine letting me know about the website cash4books.net -- I tested the site months ago and realized that most of the books I want to unload are pretty much worthless here. It does seem as if people who have textbooks and other nonfiction in really, really good condition might have a chance though.

There it was, the first edition of "Clipped." Do you clip? Do tell.

9 comments:

Maggie said...

My hubby just clipped from his GQ magazine a recipe that he'd like me to try... Magnificent Mac and Cheese by Ina Garten (aka the Barefoot Contessa). It looks delicious and has a nice layer or crunchy topping with tomatoe slices on top. And we're watching Pineapple Express.

What a wild and crazy Saturday night.

Anonymous said...

I intended to do more of this and even bought an accordian-like file folder to accomodate such clippings. However, said folder has been overtaken for Fancy's "work." Also, all that was in there when she took it over were about 3 pages about Disney World that I ripped out a couple years ago. How much help are these old pages even going to be by the time we take a Disney trip? As if I couldn't get the info I need off the internet?

Anonymous said...

Yes!! I have a binder and a few files dedicated to these such clippings. However, I have to say, the only time I open these files and binders are to put stuff in them. I never reference them for recipes or exercise tips.

Anonymous said...

Just unloaded a couple of those folders with wedding snipets it from florists and photographers in South Bend, wedding cakes in Cincinnati (from 2002) and our most recent menus at the Marriott at Union Centre. All were marvelous events but not anxious to revisit and felt good about releasing them without regret. m

Anonymous said...

I have just let all of my magazine subscriptions (except The Economist) expire. My big clipping is of recipes--from Bon Apetit and Gourmet. I am tryinng to organize them in a recipe book, and I made three new recipes this month--a butternet squash risotto, roasted butternut squash, and a chicken with tomoatoes and yellow squash (apparently I love squash). Happy organizing!

Actchy said...

For the love of Pete, please, please let my husband catch whatever bug you caught that has encouraged you to purge your "clipped articles" files. I often feel like I'm living in that crazy shed Russell Crowe has in "A Beautiful Mind."

CaraBee said...

I used to be a clipper, but not so much anymore. I recently went through all of my recipe clippings and put them in my binder so that hopefully someday I will make them. I read that EW article and was surprised by some of them, Working Girl among them. Interesting to look back at the winners (and losers) through the years. I still think Saving Private Ryan should have won.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to go out on a limb and call myself a successful clipper...
I once went through all of my Cooking Lights and clipped the recipes that looked good. I organized them into not one, but two accordion files - Weekend and Weeknight Meals and then broke them down evn smaller. I use them quite frequently... do I get an A?
Already have on the "maternity leave" list of to dos to do the same with the family fun mags. I have been collecting in a big basket...it will feel good to lose (or take to my classroom) all those magazines. We shall see if I am 2 for 2 or if the recipe clips were a fluke...

Anonymous said...

I am a constant clipper of recipes. I know that I will only try a few said clippings but it makes me happy to think of new foods to eat. I also love to cut out design ideas for a home someday where everything looks coordinated and my kids/husband probably couldn't live with me because of their stuff not fitting in with the new design! I have to say that I cut down on the magazine subscriptions due to my internet use with recipe finding. thanks for sharing MEP... B

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs