Monday, January 26, 2009

Party Doll Baby



Little Bit hit the seven month mark a few days ago and continues to be a delight. Yes, the perfect storm of congestion, teething, and excessive snot has rendered him a bit more fussy than usual the past week or so, but his uncharacteristic irritability of late only reminds me of what a sweet, easygoing baby he is on the whole. I am truly thankful. And yes, truth be told, a regular afternoon nap would be welcome (though he is, for the most part, settling down in the morning pretty well), but again, he is usually pretty darn pleasant when awake, not to brag. Again, I am thankful. Now, if he decided he only wanted to get up once during the night to eat (or not at all), I wouldn't argue . . .

Some tidbits about Little Bit at this stage:
1. One of his favorite past times continues to be looking at and trying to play with his big brother Bub. I was doing a few things in the kitchen earlier this evening, and Little Bit was chilling in the exersaucer and cackling with delight as Bub applied "lotion" to his hair. I knew Bub did not have access to actual lotion so I was not that worried, but I did ask, "Where did you get the lotion, Bub?" His answer: "From my mouth." Lucky Little Bit.

2. I keep using the phrase "like a lumberjack" to describe Little Bit's tendency to pass gas. To be fair to lumberjacks, I do not know that their farts are more frequent or more intense than those of others. What I want to convey is that Little Bit passes gas of the sort that you would associate with a large, strapping man who likes to eat stew with beans. We used to check his diaper each time we encountered the stench, but now we never bother because it's always just gas.

3. Little Bit loves to sit up and, like all babies his age, loves to put anything he can find into his mouth. The past few bath nights, he has joined Bub in the bathtub. He has been loving the chance to splash and to explore a whole new set of toys for chewing.

4. Little Bit has two bottom teeth, a half of a front tooth, another front tooth just below the surface, and another tooth announcing itself on the bottom. Favorite teething toy: mom's finger.

5. He is eating cereal and some baby food, but so far we're only doing one meal a day. I'm going to have to figure out how to get him to eat more food because he now gets so distracted when it's time to nurse that I fear he's not eating much that way. Why nurse when you can smile at your mom, stop to see what your brother is doing, peek at the television, or pull you mom's hair? Also, sometimes at night when I'm feeding him before sleep, he does this odd thing where he starts moving his arm up and down over and over. He eventually gets tired of it, but it makes the feeding a little less relaxing for me.

6. He loves to laugh and "talk." Obviously, no words, but he makes a ton of sounds and gets really excited. Honestly, it is impossible not to smile when you are around him.

7. He also loves to do the twist in his exersaucer.

We are just enjoying the calm before the storm . . . he'll be crawling soon!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love having my hair played with, but I may draw a line at "spit lotion" from Bub:) I love to picture him with Little Bit though.

CaraBee said...

Little Bit sounds like such a pleasure. He's certainly a cutie! Sophie does the same arm pumping when she nurses. I think of it like the handle on a water pump, she's pulling that milk in.

Anonymous said...

I miss my Little Bit. He is as darling as ever. What is it with kids with spit and licking? Swiper just yesterday looked angelic as she was about to kiss me then all the sudden out comes her tongue and she's licking me. m

Actchy said...

We said so when your Christmas card arrived, but this post confirms it: Little Bit looks so, so much like his Mommy. And seems to be just as lovely, as well. I cannot wait to meet him.

Anonymous said...

When can LB meet LLI? She tends to move the outside arm up and down while the inside one tickles her mommy's side. I'm very curious for wife's sake how nursing goes when teeth come in..irv

Steph said...

Ah, so very very funny! And cute!

E... said...

Loved this glimpse of the newest man in your life. He sounds so delightful. N. took to punching me with that same flapping motion while nursing.
I miss the exersaucer.

cake said...

cosmo did that arm up and down thing too, when he was a little baby. it later progressed into all kinds of other shenanigans...it does take away from the peaceful bonding time that breastfeeding CAN be.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs