Sunday, February 28, 2010

Samoa, Samoa, why don't you come ovah . . .

In my college dorm, residence hall news was reported by the Dorm Secretary in the form of "Stall Notes" taped inside each bathroom stall. Some years and weeks were better than others in terms of the cleverness of the news reporting, but I cannot imagine that a single resident was able to visit a stall over the course of a news week without practically memorizing the contents of the stall notes.

One week there was an announcement about how residents could buy Girl Scout Cookies if they were interested (from whom, I cannot remember) and the Dorm Secretary followed up on this announcement by writing, "Samoa, Samoa, why don't you come ovah and give me some lovah." I think of this phrase (poem? plea?) every single year when it is Girl Scout cookie time. Every year, even though it's something silly that I read while sitting in a bathroom stall around 1995.

Samoa, Samoa, why don't you come ovah and give me some lovah.

Genius. Yes, Samoa, why don't you. Love it.

Anyway, my niece Fancy is a Daisy Scout and delivered my Girl Scout Cookie order this weekend, which was as follows:

3 boxes Caramel deLites (also known as Samoas)
1 box Peanut Butter Patties
1 box Thin Mints

I have just a few questions/comments for the Girl Scouts of America:

1. What's wrong with the old names? I would rather eat a Hoedown or even a Tag-A-Long than a Peanut Butter Pattie. I mean a Hoedown (what the cookies were called back in 1985 when I was selling them) is a festive, rowdy, All American celebration. Tag-A-Long doesn't convey a sense of courage, initiative, and independence. Peanut Butter Pattie is just boring.

2. I've heard rumors that you use two different bakers for the cookies. Do the cookie names change depending on who bakes them? Could I be eating actual Samoas if my niece's Daisy troop sourced orders from a different baker?

3. Have you considered making a special request to the FDA to exempt your organization from having to include nutritional information on the box? Because really, eating Girl Scout cookies should feel like a virtuous experience. Your consumers should be able to indulge as often as they like and feel warm and fuzzy inside as they do so, content and self-satisfied in the knowledge that their cookie-eating is building leaders and helping young girls discover their potential.

Knowing that two Caramel deLites (Samoas) equal 140 calories kind of takes away from the fun. You know?

4. I only ordered the Thin Mints for my husband. Kind of overrated, I think.

5. Kudos to you for working with the folks at Edy's to come up with those Girl Scout Cookie ice cream flavors. Heavenly. Simply heavenly.

That's all for now. Raise your hands if you've eaten almost a thousand calories in Samoas today!

10 comments:

CaraBee said...

I LOVE Girl Scout cookies. All three that you got are my favorites! Although I might have gotten three of the Tagalongs (aka Peanut Butter Patties) and one of the Samoa and Thin Mints.

I don't understand the name change. Perhaps they are trying to make the names more descriptive of what they are. People were too confused by the other names, maybe?

Sadly, I don't have any girl scouts in my family or among my friends' kids. I haven't even seen them out in front of my grocery store. I suppose I could hunt them down, or order them online. Maybe I will. There goes the diet.

LAP said...

We appreciate your support of Fancy and her Daisy troop. BB, Fancy, Swiper, and myself each got our own box of Carmel Delites (I wrote each person's name on their box with a Sharpie) as we are all superfans. BB thinks it is excessive to have all four boxes open at once, but fair is fair...ration or indulge as you like I say.

I'm with you on the lame name changes. For the record, my girl scout cookie count for the day has been one samoa and two thin mints.

Also, totally forgot about Stall News. That made me smile.

Stacia said...

Have you noticed the boxes have gotten smaller since we sold them?? I could swear it. And 15 Samoas is not enough to last but one or two days. I mean, for real.

PS: Yes! Thin Mints are so very overrated.

E... said...

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my order from my niece in St. Louis. Passed on the Peanut Butter Patties this year out of respect for N, but I KNOW I will miss them. Ditto on the ho-hum of the Thin Mints. I'll take my mint in candy form, not cookie, thank you very much. Looking forward to some boring shortbread dipped in tea and will probably eat the whole box of Caramel Delites in a sitting.

Actchy said...

I agree with Stacia re: 15 Samoas and WTF.

Stall Notes. MEP, I think we missed an opportunity there, for a fabulous publishing forum.

Cynthia said...

OK...I can't go there with you...Thin Mints all the way girl!

dusty earth mother said...

Hey Mep, I am a girl scout troop leader and can testify to the fact that the Girl Scouts do, indeed, have two different bakers, Little Brownie Bakers and... can't remember the other one. And I don't care because my girls are Little Brownie girls. Go, LB's!

Okay, I've obviously eaten far too many Do-Si-Do's (what Peanut Butter Patties are called in my neck of the woods). And usually I would never self-promote so blatantly, but I have some delightfully frightening Cookie stories on my blog, so if you get a moment, stop by... you won't be sorry...

PITA said...

Fancy sold us some Carmel Delights and some Peanut Butter Patties. I have actually been quite proud of myself and the pace I have consumed them. I miss the old names too. Peanut Butter Patties is kind of a snoozer.

Sue and Randy said...

In Texas, we have the different baker from what my niece sells in Illinois. Most of the choices are the same and same names, but our bakery had 100 calorie packs with little cinnamon flower cookies. Shockingly, that is all I ordered. I noticed a carmel and berry cookie up north that was not offered down here. Strange. Also, our are cheaper (3.50) compared to the 4 bucks in Illinois.

Stall notes made me laugh--I totally remember that line re: Samoas!

cake said...

for me, it's all about the thin mints. and, they used to be better than they are now. the cookie inside is now a chocolate cookie. it used to be just a regular cookie. i am not fond of the change, but i take what i can get.
i'm on my third (and final) box.
until next year.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs