Tuesday, February 16, 2010

All Thumbs

I'm away from home (somewhere where I don't see a single snowflake, NTB) as I craft this post and using my husband's laptop which for me is like wearing shoes that are about a size too small for a long hike. I'm just not totally comfortable and in my groove, you know?

Since I'm all thumbs on this laptop, I offer you a brief thumb-theme post that offers some highlights from the past week or so . . .

THUMBS UP:
* Bub's quote last week when I finally made him the long-promised smoothie he had been asking for: "It tastes so good I can't believe my heart."

* My rewatching of The Gilmore Girls. I'm on the third season now (Rory now with Jess, Lorelai not with Luke yet and it's killing me) and finding that I don't remember a lot of what happened and so it's like fresh joy each episode.

* portable DVD players -- best $80 ever spent, traveling parents' best friend

* feeling of leaving a super clean house behind and knowing that at least for a couple of days a pair of little munchkins won't be messing it up

* I'm not really into the Olympics this year (except for supporting my mom's boyfriend Apolo Ohno), but I love these photos of Vancouver taken by my cousin, a very talented Vancouver-based photojournalist.

* The green stuff my mother-in-law made!

* All the awesome bird stuff at Pottery Barn. I usually toss my catalog straight into the recycling, but the most recent one has these awesome bird pillows on the cover and this beautiful spring sparrow duvet cover as well. I had to place an order. I just had to. I'm nesting, you see.

* Magic Erasers -- not great for all surfaces, but our front and side doors (painted metal) look good as new, NTB.

* Did I mention that there is not a single snow flake where I am . . .

THUMBS DOWN:
* Confederate Flag beach towels

* Freaking candy aisle at Old Navy check out. It's bad enough that I don't have the free time to shop for clothes anywhere but Old Navy and Target, but if I'm going to torture myself by going to Old Navy with my kids, I don't need the added stress of having tons of candy and snack food at the check out. Even gumball machines. I do not need my four year-old begging for a gumball machine after I have settled for yet another plain black cotton t-shirt.

* Cleaning. Cleaning. Cleaning. Cleaning.

* Little Bit's new too-short haircut. Any additional commentary on what his haircut looks like would come off as snobby and classist. Sure, he's still a cutie, but I hope the hair grows quickly.

* Trying to get my kids to nap and sleep in a place that is not home.

What about you? What's THUMBS UP and DOWN for you these days?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thumbs up to going to the movie to see Valentines Day with two of your daughters. (Missed our meppie but did eat enough snacks as if you were there). Thumbs down to snow, snow, and more snow. It started snowing again while at the movie (our first outing since pita arrived from upstate NY to more snow than she left)
Thumbs up to getting to spend time together.

m

Anonymous said...

Thumbs up to my preschooler who can read now and, after reading a book to me today, asked, "Didn't I do such a great job? Don't you just want to cry?" Yes to both!

Thumbs up to the hope of an actual date with my husband this weekend.

Thumbs down that I'm not wherever MEP is because I long for a little sunshine and warmth! rita

CaraBee said...

If you don't mind, I'm going to do an "All Thumbs" post myself. Love the idea!

Glad you're enjoying your sunshiney vacation!

Heather said...

I'm still not over the "no snowflakes" part of your post. I am drooling, green with envy, settling into a winter depression that only a beach with sunshine and temperatures in the 80's will cure.

sigh.

Glad you're having fun and that your house is staying clean. Mine's a mess due to all these snow days, school delays, two feet of snow right out the door...

Okay, okay, I'm done whining now.

E... said...

Thumbs down to O. not having school AGAIN today, due to 2 hour delay. This makes 10 days off now. Thumbs down to husband being gone for FOUR nights this week.
Thumbs up to gymnastics being ON, and to my dad for coming to use his snow blower in my driveway, and both my parents for going out to dinner with us last night.

Actchy said...

Thumbs down to every dog-owner in Manhattan who accepts snow on the ground as a get-out-of-poop-scooping-free card.

Thumbs up for the husband and I and our ability to resist the stomach flu that is sweeping the City at lightening speed. So far. ::knocks wood::

LAP said...

Thumbs down for the obnoxious cavalier driver last night who thought that tailing me in the snow with poorly plowed roads would make me go faster.

Thumbs up that school is on for today and that I will be enjoying max and irmas yummy soft pretzel sticks in a couple hours.

Cynthia said...

Total thumbs up on Gilmore Girls. I am so psyched to have Lorelai back on TV with Parenthood. I just love her:)

cake said...

i feel for E... who has it worse than we do in the snow-day category. so i won't thumbs down school closings, though they have been driving me batty.

thumbs up to the yummiest confection i have ever made, so good (and easy) i had to make it two nights in a row--blueberries, peach sauce and pears (all home-preserved from the summer) in a pie crust, galette-style.

thumbs down to the pre-school-friendly computer stations in the newly remodeled children's area, at our public library. i take my kid to the library to be excited by things OTHER THAN computers. luckily, the sessions are timed.

Stacia said...

Thumbs up to vacation! Where can I get me one of those??

msh said...

thumbs down to all the snow days. seriously, it's getting ridiculous.
but thumbs up to surviving them. and thumbs up to the way my kids have been playing together this week. i know this sweet phase won't last, but for now, i am just soaking up their sweet little voices and laughter coming from upstairs. big thumbs up to this phase in fact, however long it lasts.

Melissa Walters said...

Thumbs up that all of the sudden valentines day became a real holiday and I got a gift card to red robin from my parents.

Thumbs up to Brady is has started to tripod sit.

thumbs up to shoveling the looong driveway in an hour (made me feel strong).

thumbs down that my almost 5 month old is growing out of his 6-9 month old clothing!He's going through his clothes way too fast, not to mention he's 20 lbs and HUGE! When does the weight taper off?

Liz said...

Thumbs up for one of the best books I have ever read - The Help

Thumbs up for parents who will GLADLY watch my kids whenever I need them

Thumbs up for happy hour with good friends last weekend

Thumbs down for rain on top of snow

Thumbs down for the very overpriced and not very tasty dinner the hubby and I went out for on Valentines Day that I still haven't gotten over, even though it is almost March

Thumbs down for my 4 year old going on 16 and giving some SERIOUS attitude lately, decided tonight that I am NOT having another one! L

Babe in Babeland said...

I love the Gilmore Girls, too! YAY!

Thumbs up--your mom's boyfriend, Apolo, and the Olympics! I really am enjoying them this year. Past few years I hadn't been as much into them, but this year I'm totally into them.

Thumbs down--We have LOTS OF SNOW FALLING RIGHT NOW! It's beautiful but it's a slushy mess.

Sara G said...

Love Bub's comment. And I also love the rewatching of GG. I knew you'd love it all over again. That show makes my heart hurt too.

Enjoy the sun!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs