Monday, October 15, 2007

Take that social calendar

My husband and I have found that since we no longer work with people our age—nor do we live in a neighborhood where the majority of dwellers are at the Pampers-purchasing stage of life, nor do many of our close friends live within a quick 15 minute drive—we need to become more proactive with our social lives.

NTB, but we were pretty proud of ourselves this weekend. Eat your heart out, but our weekend was action packed. Although no one event is likely to draw the envy of any reader, this volume of activity is rare for us these days:

Friday morning: Got a jump start on the weekend by heading with my two little girls to the aquarium. They were angels. They held my hands as we walked through and didn’t even throw a tantrum when I denied them a purchase in the gift shop.

Friday evening: Family trip to the pumpkin patch complete with obligatory festive fall photo shoot.

Saturday morning: Trick or treating at the zoo in full Halloween attire. As a special bonus, there was a ten-minute period where both kids stayed seated in the double stroller at the same time.

Saturday evening: Babysitter for kids, nice dinner out and then party at a neighbor’s house. As noted above, most neighbors are in different life stages, case in point, this was a 25th anniversary/50th birthday party…we’re 20 years behind on both. It was an enjoyable evening except for the fact that people kept hugging me, saying they were surprised to see me since my father had just died. WHAT? Although I knew my father was safely vacationing in Arizona, it was very unnerving. We were able to confirm that the telephone message gone awry had indicated that the 92-year-old father of my next door neighbor is actually the one who passed away.

Sunday afternoon: I attended a baby shower for a former co-worker/current friend. Although I am not big into games such as “try to putt the golf ball into a sippy cup” or baby-themed pictionary, it was a nice little outing.

Sunday evening: Family gathering at a relative’s house in celebration of my husband’s great aunt turning 87. Party started at 3, dinner at 4:30, we were last to leave at 7:30. Case in point that we are truly party animals who should be invited to more events.

2 comments:

mep said...

The only thing that would have improved your weekend would be a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond, followed by dinner at the Olive Garden . . . Nice little Saturday. Seriously though, you guys are party animals and surely should be invited to more parties.

I was at a wedding in Greater Boston this weekend, which was lots of fun. NTB, but I got to ride around in a sweet rental car: Crown Victoria baby!

Anonymous said...

Your social life rocks! A nice little Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, who even needs Bed, Bath, and Beyond! M

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs