Monday, October 22, 2007

Clear the steps, damn it.

TB or NTB. I fear my recent posts have bordered on the former. Just to keep things real, I will share a brief bub-related incident from earlier this evening. The bub and I spent the hour before dinner hanging out in our carpeted basement. We did some laundry. I folded the clothes. He threw them around. I loaded the dryer. He closed the dryer door six or seven times in the process. We read the books I purchased at our parish's toddler garage sale this weekend. "We" played with the cords that (used to) connect the VCR to the television. We picked up the phone and shot the breeze with Grammy.

As I headed up the stairs to start preparing bubby's dinner, I assumed he was right behind me. Because he sometimes takes his time climbing the steps, I went on in to the kitchen and got to work. I didn't hear much, but falsely assumed that all was well and that he had merely paused, as he often does, at the landing where his stroller is parked to try to fasten and unfasten its buckles.

I don't know how you use your stairs, but in addition to using mine for the obvious, I also use them as temporary holding zones. Items that need to travel either upstairs or downstairs wait on the steps until I pause to take them to their homes. My mom employed a similar system when I was growing up. She placed clean and folded laundry in stacks on our back stairs. When you headed up to your room, you were supposed to take your stack with you (and, of course, put it away). For being good kids, my siblings and I were horrible with the laundry stacks. Mostly, we stepped around them. I have distinct memories of heading downstairs in the morning before school and grabbing one item--a pair of socks or a clean bra, for example--and then heading upstairs and leaving another two feet of MEP laundry behind. My mom certainly deserves your sympathy for having to put up with ingrates like myself. Funny thing is, my stair-clearing efforts have not improved much even now that I have my own home and family. On the landing right outside my bedroom sits my opened and semi-unpacked suitcase (now serving as remote drawer) from last weekend and the pile of stuff I tossed out of it from its previous use a month prior. A variety of laundry baskets, piles of clothes, and empty shopping bags wait on the landing as well. The area could easily be mistaken for a Goodwill donation center. But, if not for this large landing, my steps would be in even worse shape. A dirty but folded pair of jeans and a pillow sham have been sitting on my steps heading upstairs for ten days. A 145 ounce container of laundry detergent had been sitting on the steps leading to the basement since this morning, when I purchased it from Target.

That's right, the detergent had been there. It had been there until the bub moved it. As I was happily getting his dinner together, I noted with pleasure that the bub seemed to have found a way to keep himself occupied. Seconds later, I heard his familiar, "Mom. Mom." I turned the corner and saw that my freakishly strong bub had lifted the laundry detergent up two stairs so that it was in our back room. He had also figured out how to open the bottle. What's more, he had poured it (thankfully, not all 145 ounces of it) all over the floor. A puddle at least a foot and a half in diameter greeted me. On his clothes alone, the bub had poured enough for an entire load. The smell of spring rain filled the air. The bub looked up at me with a huge smile as if to say, "Look what I did mom. NTB."

Thanks to all the code browns, my emergency reaction skills are fairly sharp. NTB. I removed the bub's detergent-soaked clothes. (He helped me out by then removing his diaper.) I wet a wad of paper towels and got to work rinsing off his hands and feet (yes, of course he had been stepping in the puddle). I placed him on the carpet and bid him not to move. I returned to the scene with more paper towels and began mopping up the puddle. The bub wanted in on the action. He grabbed some paper towels, got down on his knees, and started spreading the soap around. I then had to pause and re-rinse his newly-soaped hands and feet. Keep in mind, he has no diaper on. Luckily for me, he kept himself entertained by riding his bouncing zebra bareback (and bare-butt) while I finished the clean-up.* We visited the sink for one final rinse. I wrestled him into a diaper and, wearing only said diaper, he ate his dinner like a champ.

The first thing I did after I put him to bed tonight? Carried that bottle of detergent downstairs to the laundry room. NTB. What's on your steps?


*Note to bub's friends and their moms--the zebra has been sanitized.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

In addition to dog hair and various stains? There are two laundry baskets I was hoping my husband would take upstairs before he left for Baltimore for the week, since it is almost impossible to carry a laundry basket and a six week old up stairs (though I have actually done it -- you just have to balance the baby on top of the sheets, pretend she's Moses). For me, it's not so much stairs as dining room table that is likely to be a holding zone these days: currently it is the home of: about ten dishes that need to be returned to people who brought me dinner after said six week old's birth, a gift for my grandmother, the raincoat my mom left here, a baby gift for my expectant cousin, a Sam's size box of microwave popcorn leftover from our beach vacation in July (no lie), a grocery bag full of assorted breast pump parts and bottles, two Halloween costumes, extra birth announcements, along with an entire box of ones that I mistakenly left her birthdate off of, a book that needs to be returned to Target, two crystal glasses that need to be taken downstairs to the bar, my son's booster chair that I keep hoping he will sit in again instead of doing acrobatics at the table, and a ghost shaped candy dish (not headed elsewhere: my attempt at decorating this glorified closet) Needless to say, there are no grand dinner parties in my near future.

Michelle said...

Oh my! He is something isn't he?!

I would pay money to see him riding the zebra bareback. I can just see him bouncing and spinning around, happy as can be.

I'm glad you are writing these things down. He's going to love reading this someday!

Anonymous said...

The kitchen counter is the holding area around here. It's not too bad at the moment (a child's shirt, a monitor, a digital camera, a pen, a stack of mail, a glass of Diet Coke, a hanger, and an XU basketball schedule). Every other room could be spotless but if there is crap on the counter then I'm not at peace. Apparently I am peaceful enough to be checking your blog instead of cleaning it though.

Actchy said...

Count your blessings. You could live in a 1BR Manhattan apartment, where -- for better or for worse -- there is no place to stack things.

By the way, we had the stairs-system in my house growing up. As teenagers, if we left things around for too long, my dad would take the things on the steps and throw them down the basement stairs. He had pretty good results with this. NTB.

Maggie said...

I found myself to your blog too! I enjoy it very much, and will continue to be an avid reader.

I like this article because I know those stairs at Wilhelm Court - and have stepped by the stacks a few times in my day as well.

Thanks for the congrats! Maggie

Anonymous said...

I applaud you. I am afraid just such an episode may have had me raising my voice a little too high, or maybe I didn't do that until you guys were older.

Anonymous said...

hysterical. i can barely lift those monster detergent bottle! that brute strength may come in handy some day, though for now it may cause a bit of trouble!
living in a ranch clears us of the step issue (though i do remember quite a few family meeting agenda items being "the steps" back on glenway drive), but that means our crap is spread out throughout the entire house instead--dining room table and kitchen counter are especially vulnerable, along with the "office"--which is basically an entire room devoted to catching things that should belong somewhere else. it's a lovely room. ntb. msp

Anonymous said...

Detergent, eh? Not very green. :-( Old fashioned beating them against a wooden board and hanging dry keep Al Gore happy.

Steph said...

Oh, my - this is gut-busting, laugh-out-loud funny! :-)

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs