Monday, October 15, 2007

Soup's still on

I recently discussed my decision to temporarily confine my culinary aspirations to the realm of soup. Motivated by my success with Rachael's Indian Summer Turkey Chili, I decided to attempt another seasonal soup: Pumpkin Orange Soup With Parmesan Toasts. I enjoy pumpkin as an ingredient (except in pumpkin pie) and I like oranges. I did not, however, like the soup. The recipe came from one of Ann Byrne's cookbooks, The Dinner Doctor. I'm not blaming her. The recipe was easy to fall and likely has potential, but I made one major mistake. I decided that the Parmesan Toasts were not necessary and thus eliminated several things I really enjoy in a meal: fat in the form of cheese, carbs, and texture. The flavor of the soup was fine, but it was too smooth for me. I like chunks and such. I should not have let my inexplicable resistance to recipes requiring the broiler prevent me from making the parmesan toasts. I would give you the hubby's reaction, but believe me, if he had actually tried the soup, his response would be unprintable.

This morning, I stepped back into the ring with Chicken Mulligatawny soup from Eating Well magazine. This recipe is one I noticed months ago and have wanted to try ever since. I just liked the sound of chicken, rice, granny smith apples, onions, and coconut milk together in one bowl. I liked the sound of this soup so much that I took the time, with the bub in tow no less, to figure out where coconut milk* is found (in the Hispanic ethnic aisle with the Goya products) and to attempt to find hot Madras curry powder (was unsuccessful and just used regular curry powder, probably for the best as I don't like things too spicy). I was never able to find the ground coriander the recipe called for. Perhaps it is not sold already-ground? I found some un-ground coriander and did my best to "grind" it by placing it in a ziploc and pounding on it with my mallet. Bubby helped and, fortunately, both of our fingers are still intact. I will be honest and admit that I did not toast almonds for a garnish as instructed (though I did purchase said almonds) because as with recipes involving the broiler and, until recently, the food processor, I avoid those that require toasting nuts (NTB?) due to the the horrors I tasted after burning a batch a few years back. Anyway, the end result was favorable. I enjoyed the flavors and am especially tickled by having Granny Smith apples in a soup. I would have preferred the broth to be a bit thicker, but that could have been my error. If I had it to make over, I would do it without the bub as my sous chef. By the time the soup was ready, the floor was covered with Goldfish crackers (awesome crunch with every step) and two bananas had been mangled with a toy knife at bub's work station. More than anything, I am just proud that I finally tried a recipe from Eating Well, as the magazine's recipes almost always appeal to me but almost always intimidate me as well. So, I did it and it was good. NTB.

*Recipe actually called for "lite" coconut milk, no idea where that might be secured.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, MEP, I feel your pain. At Regan's and my wedding, we had a soup course: it was an unbelieveable roasted red pepper soup. Sweet, I swear. The groom would not lift a spoonful to his lips...

Actchy said...

I really have to advocate on behalf of toasted almonds. NTB, but at Camp Shrek we have toasted almonds with every salad we eat (read: at least 4 times a week). You don't even have to put any oil in the pan. I hate to sound like Sandra Lee, but “all you do” is heat the pan, throw in the almonds until they are fragrant, dump the almonds, wipe the pan, put away the pan. (I alter the "cleaning" regime significantly if my nut-allergy nephew is visiting.) I implore you to give it another go.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the soup was tasty and I applaud your efforts but I can't stop laughing visualizing the bub as sous chef cutting up his bananas. Motherhood is an adventure isn't it? M

Anonymous said...

i actually toast nuts in the microwave sometimes (don't tell my friends on top chef), but it's easy and brings (basically) the same end result. i'm a huge fan of cooking with coconut milk, so you might have to pass this recipe along to me. and maybe i can find a way to fatten it up a bit--that's what i do with my favorite cooking light recipes, and they're fantastic. ntb.
msp

mep said...

You can find the recipe by clicking on Chicken Mulligatawny in the text of the post . . . also, please keep my secrets safe from the Top Chef gang as well.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to report that I tried the Indian Summer Turkey Chili -- my first true meal to cook since N's arrival. I had it for my brother and his girlfriend when they stopped in to do the aunt/uncle thing for the evening. I added some cornbread muffins (out of a mix with frozen corn and green chiles from a can thrown in) and it was very well received. They didn't even know it was turkey until J. pointed out to everyone that I can even make this for my father, the non-beef eater. I too, am often intimidated by the Eating Well recipes, but always love whatever I make from it. I have a cranberry curry chicken dish from there that I get sharp cravings for...
Speaking of Top Chef, I propose a challenge where instead of just cooking FOR children, they have to involve them as sous chefs as well. Padma might have to cover her cleavage for that one.
E...

mep said...

E, love the idea of Padma struggling to remain sultry while toddlers take over the kitchen. Also, love the sound of cranberry curry chicken and the phrase "sharp cravings." Thanks for trying the recipe--it makes me feel as if NTB is changing the world. Just kidding.

MSP, love the idea of fattening up Cooking Light recipes!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs