Wednesday, October 24, 2007

It was a good fight...but the step won.

About a year ago I moved to upstate New York. Since then, I have been attempting to make some new friends. Many of you may think, what is the big deal about that? How hard could that be? Well it is harder than you may think. After several months of repeating self-affirmations like "boy PITA you are really fun and smart." I have made a few friends. One of my friends enjoys working out together. I am all for that, seeing that I am usually not that motivated to go by myself, this is ideal for me. We surveyed the classes and discussed which ones we would be interested in. Now, please keep in mind, I am trying to keep these new friendships going, so I happily agreed when she stated she would like to attend "Power Step." The thing about it is that I hate Step, I hate the Stepper, I hate all parts of this workout. But, since I had chose Power Pump the other day, I thought I should compromise.....
So I show up to class that fateful day and meet our instructor, Angel. You are all probably thinking, I bet Angel is really nice. With a name like Angel, how could you not be? In my opinion, Angel stinks. She demands that we put three risers on each side (that is a lot, if you are not familiar with step), let me note that Angel put no risers under her step. Secondly, she jumps into the routine, knowing she had new people in the class. Also, the moves in step class all have names - v-step, a-step, charleston, charleston-ski, etc... I knew no terms nor the moves for that matter. Much of the class was spent standing watching others until I could master the moves. I tried to keep moving as best I could, but Angel instead of doing the moves with us, would circle around and clap and scream as "encouragement." I was finally feeling a little settled, when we did a tricky move - and l-step into a football shuffle back and forth over the step. Well I go up for my l-step, clear it no problem, but as I hopped over the step for the football shuffle, my foot got caught and I went down. Boy did I take a digger. I sat there for a moment as everyone stared at me, trying to laugh it off, but I kind of wanted to cry because it kind of hurt. Nonetheless, I got up. Angel just kept going, she said - oh did you turn your ankle? I shook my head no as i cursed her mentally for being such an idiot and for choosing such a difficult move for a novice. Lucky for me, this incident happened right before the cool-down. I put my six risers away and walked away...
I have gone back (re: I need friends), but one slight improvement - Angel has been reassigned to cardio kickboxing and stroller fit. NTB, but I will show her an l-step.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too HATE step. I once walked out of the class the moment the instructor said "instead of the circuit class scheduled for today, I think we'll do step." She tried to stop me at the door, but I curtly gave her my feelings on step (and straying from the schedule) and proceeded upstairs to the eliptical machines instead. I will also back you up that 3 risers is a lot.

I have only met one other Angel (at a bachelorette party we were both attending.) She was not so sweet either. She is married but had her tongue down another guy's throat and then told her future sister-in-law (the bride to be) not to overreact because she was too young to know what cheating really is. I'm sure there are some good Angels out there somewhere though.

By the way, you are fun and smart.

Anonymous said...

I have never done step but I actually quit a Yoga class because I was stressed trying to follow all the commands in a class billed as a stress releaser. What's wrong with those New Yorkers anyway, haven't they heard Ohio kids are cool? PS, Angel sounds like a devil. M

Actchy said...

I think you are a hero for doing that class. I've blinked back tears during a regular Step class; the fact that you conquered "Power" Step in the name of budding friendship is truly impressive.

PS, I'm enjoying the "Steps" theme you NTB'ers are following this week.

Anonymous said...

long time blog reader...first time commenter. i, too, have fallen all the way to the ground during a step class (just within the past year). it's no fun at all. in fact, the particular step that caused you to fall sounds exactly like what i was attempting when i fell. i thought you'd appreciate knowing you aren't the only one. and i've never liked step either. i don't know what i was thinking when i took that class.
-liz m.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs