Monday, March 9, 2009

Retail Beat: Thins Are In


I haven't been on the Retail Beat much these days as I have been trying to stick to my 2009 resolutions, one of which was to buy less stuff. That being said, we all need to eat so here goes.

Item: Arnold Select Sandwich Thins
Site of Purchase: Jewel, Costco
Price: 8 pack at Jewel for $2.00, 16 pack at Costco for $4.29

I love sandwiches, but hate when the bread or bun sets one back 200 or 300 calories. These sandwich thins are delicious and have good stats to boot: 100 calories per roll, plus 5 grams of fiber. Unlike the lower calorie, fiber-filled English Muffins, which taste like baked tan chalk, these rolls are tasty and have a substantial, yet soft texture. Yum.

Item: Del Monte Zingers
Site of Purchase: Jewel
Price: cannot recall, but not prohibitive if you are in the market for pickles

Speaking of sandwiches, these pickles are awesome. The label says "sweet and hot," and that's what they are. They are like bread and butter pickles, but with a little kick (but not too much kick).

Item: Lara Bar
Site of Purchase: Whole Foods, Costco
Price: one bar is $1.39 at Whole Foods, can buy a pack of 18 at Costco for around $16

I started eating Lara Bars in the summer when I was nursing Little Bit, hungry all the time, and needing things I could begin eating with no preparation or effort (short of removing the package). I think I read about them in a magazine. These bars boast "no added sugar, unprocessed, raw, non-gmo, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegan, kosher," but I eat them because I find them tasty and enjoy their dense texture. My favorite used to be the Peanut Butter cookie flavor, but now I am in love with the Coconut Cream Pie. There are loads of flavors though, like Key Lime, Lemon, Cherry Pie, Apple Pie, Cashew Cookie, Pistachio, and some chocolate varieties. The variety pack at Costco includes Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, and Cashew Cookie. I was just there this morning, but did not buy it because I am trying to buy less stuff and because those flavors are not my favorites (though I do like them).

10 comments:

Actchy said...

I, for one, will be trying Lara Bars for sure. I am famished all. of. the. time. Far moreso now that I'm nursing as compared to when I was pregnant...

PITA said...

huge fan of the sandwich thin...just purchased some at the price chopper today. they are delicious.

E... said...

Dude. I just bought the sandwich thins today! I found them while I was perusing bread labels in search of something approximating bread without the things my daughter is apparently now allergic to. You know, like wheat. I like the Arnold brand b/c it's one of the few without corn syrup. I couldn't believe how many of the whole grain breads had it once I started looking!

CaraBee said...

I saw those sandwich thins while I was waiting for the deli counter at the grocery store the other day. I was intrigued, but uncertain. I love my bread. I'll have to give them a try now that I have a positive review.

Anonymous said...

I, too, just spotted the sandwich thins yesterday at the store. I like CaraBee was intrigued but held back. I will have to give them a try. I also spotted the lara bars at costco but decided paying for one to taste it made more sense than jumping into an 18 pack, sight unseen, so to speak. It was interesting that the cookies were cheaper at the Jewel than Costco. m

Anonymous said...

These are items I never would have tried without having them pointed out to me. I will be on the lookout...intrigued by the thins, still a little wary of the lara bar but sounds like it would be a healthier replacement for when I just grab a granola bar

Steph said...

I LOVE Lara bars. The cherry is my favorite, followed closely by Cashew.

Anonymous said...

Love the sandwich thins... am going to have to try the pickles... very intriguing indeed.

Maggie said...

I love Lara bars - like the Cinnamon Roll flavor!

Anonymous said...

I will have to be on the look out for these products... Thanks for sharing. BDavin I am with LAP still not sure of the LARA bar.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs