Friday, January 1, 2010

Welcome to Booksburgh!*

I love it when bloggers share their reading lists somewhere on their sites. As an avid reader, I get a little thrill whenever I come across the title of a book that sounds like something I might enjoy. I am posting my list in case it might help other readers get that "Oh, that sounds worth looking into" thrill. Also, I'm posting it because I tend to draw a blank whenever someone asks for a book recommendation, which is ridiculous because I read enough to be able to make decent recommendations.

Now just because a book is listed doesn't necessarily mean it is recommended. If you want to know more about any of the books I've read this year, just get in touch with me in the comments or by email (mep at nottobrag dot net). If I've already written about a particular book, you can click on the title to link to the post where I discussed it.

I would post about books more often, but my sisters have given me frighteningly honest feedback about how boring my book posts are!

I've read a lot this year in part because I've been doing a lot of cleaning and for me cleaning time is reading time, thanks to downloadable audiobooks and my ipod. If you haven't checked out audiobooks, you should! And yes, I do read "regular books" too.

MEP's 2010 Reading List

Up in the Air by Walter Kirn

At Least in the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream by Wade Rouse

Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, 1999-2001 by Sue Townsend

Love and Other Secrets by Sarah Challis

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin

Comfort Me with Apples by Ruth Reichl

Half-Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

Anyone But You by Jennifer Crusie

Sense and Sensibility* by Jane Austen

Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Courter

The Aqua Net Diaries: Big Hair, Big Dreams, Small Town by Jennifer Niven

The Accidental Wife by Rowan Coleman

Lily White by Susan Isaacs

More Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin

What Now* by Ann Patchett

Carpool Diem by Nancy Star

Lift by Kelly Corrigan

Nanny Returns: A Novel by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns, and Other Southern Specialties: An Entertaining Life (with Recipes) by Julia Reed

Further Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin

Living Oprah: My One-Year Experiment to Walk the Walk of the Queen of Talk by Robyn Okrant

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin

Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand: A Novel by Helen Simonson

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

The Handmaid's Tale: A Novel by Margaret Atwood

Whatever Makes You Happy by Lisa Grunwald

Elizabeth and Her German Garden by Elizabeth von Arnim

Going Gray: What I Learned About Beauty, Sex, Work, Motherhood, Authenticity, and Everything Else That Really Matters by Anne Kreamer

New Grub Street by George Gissing

The Twelve Sacred Traditions of Magnificent Mothers-in-Law by Haywood Smith

The Heights by Peter Hedges

The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman

A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg

The Girls by Lori Lansens

A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson

The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett

Past Imperfect by Julian Fellowes

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Herb n' Lorna by Eric Kraft

The Art of Eating In: How I Learned to Stop Spending and Love the Stove by Cathy Erway

The Wife's Tale by Lori Lansens

The Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Life Would Be Perfect If I Lived In That House by Meghan Daum

That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

Confections of a Closet Baker by Gesine Bullock-Prado

Thank You for All Things by Sandra Kring

Strings Attached by Nick Nolan

The Case of Jennie Brice by Mary Roberts Rinehart

One Day by David Nicholls

The Lonely Polygamist: A Novel by Brady Udall

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

No Angel by Penny Vincenzi

Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner

Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

The Thieves of Manhattan by Adam Langer

Dear Money by Martha McPhee

Death by Pad Thai: And Other Unforgettable Meals Ed. by Douglas Bauer

Something Blue by Emily Giffin

Miss Mapp by E.F. Benson

Baby Proof by Emily Giffin

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

I'm With Fatty by Edward Ugel

Queen Lucia by E.F. Benson

Spoon Fed: How Eight Cooks Saved My Life by Kim Severson

Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen by Laurie Colwin

Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

Traveler by Ron McLarty

The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Room by Emma Donoghue

At Home with the Templetons by Monica McInerney

Mommy Tracked by Whitney Gaskell

Lucia in London by E.F. Benson

Mapp and Lucia by E.F. Benson

The Extra Man by Jonathan Ames

Scarlet Feather* by Maeve Binchy

Anne of Green Gables* by L.M. Montgomery

Anne of Avonlea* by L.M. Montgomery

Anne of the Island* by L.M. Montgomery

Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain

The Financial Lives of Poets by Jess Walter

Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy




*indicates a book I reread in 2010!

1 comment:

Stacia said...

Emily Giffin and Jennifer Crusie are two of my favorites, as is Maeve Binchy if I'm in the right frame of mine. And you can never go wrong with Anne with an e Shirley!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs