Wednesday, December 7, 2011

RWOP: Two Trick Christmas Pony

Welcome back for another week of Real Women of Pinterest.

Do a search for "handprint Christmas tree" on Pinterest and you'll see multiple pins of a couple versions of this holiday creation. I was ready to give it a whirl myself and had even purchased green and red acrylic paint several weeks ago in preparation. But, I forgot to buy a canvas. Because taking my three kids to Michael's is not even a little bit enjoyable, I decided I had to improvise. Take a peek.

Handprint Christmas Wreath
What? You don't have a large canvas? Grab a ceiling tile from the pile the previous owners of your house left in the basement.
Find something in your kitchen to trace a large circle with pencil.
Then, trace again with a smaller circular something.
Squeeze some acrylic paint into some little plastic egg cartons (good idea, right?).
Paint your son's hand green.
Instruct him to press that hand onto the ceiling tile. Don't try to press his hand down to make a stronger imprint because, apparently, those ceiling tiles are a bit scratchy. Repeat the painting of the hand and the pressing several times.

Get your littler guy in on the act as well. Try to stay breezy when he deliberately plants his hand in the no-holly zone in the very middle.

Okay, time for red paint and finger tip berries now.
Then, mom uses some more of that Costco ribbon from last week's wreath, ties a bow, and glue guns it onto the wreath. If your ceiling tile has a rough edge, use some ribbons to frame the wreath. Voila!
There you have it. Not the most gorgeous wreath ever, but not bad for using what I had in the house. And, yes, I realize that I have a larger-than-most supply of crafty crap on hand.

Christmas Handprint Trees
Okay, use pretty much the same process above, except pencil a triangle on a sheet of thick paper. Once the trees were dry, I placed them in the frames I used for the autumn fingerprint trees. No photos of the artists as little sister was topless during this project.

Voila!
The kids did the trees and the berries/ornaments. I cut out and glued the stars and tree trunks (why, yes, I did have three different brown scrapbook papers to use here, all purchased a dozen years ago when I had time to do things like scrapbook).

Big Brother's Tree -- "Mine is the best, mom, right? Don't you like mine best?"
Little Middle Guy's tree. No time to reflect or evaluate,
he just throws himself into the project and then walks away.
And Little Sister's tree -- yep, she was most willing to
accept coaching and guidance on hand placement.
Anything Pinteresting in your life this week? Bloggers, link up your Pinterest posts in the comments. Other readers, send me your photos or leave a comment about your Pinteresting.

See you next week, if not before.


7 comments:

Stacia said...

I love your ceiling-tile wreath. That's the kind of crafty improvisation I wholeheartedly admire (and find myself doing a lot of these days)!

And the idea of topless tree-making sounds like it would totally appeal to my children as well. =>

Stacia said...

PS: My RWoP post is coming later today.

Tricia @ Take 10 With Tricia said...

I am laughing. However I love the wreath idea. I'll have to pin it for next year. And I actually assumed that the messier tree was the youngest...go her for taking coaching! I contemplated adding berries in red but wasn't sure how it would look. Love it! I'll be adding red next year. And seriously, next time you are in the 'nati and have an hour...I will gladly show you some bow tricks. So much easier than you'd think.

Heather said...

Are you sure wine wasn't involved in the topless tree decorating? 'Cause that sounds almost fun :)

Love the wreath and the trees. I, too, have more scrapbook paper than God, and yet I still manage to NEED more when I go to Archivers or Hobby Lobby. Sigh...

E... said...

Okay, I'll get it together today and post my Christmas projects. I am stalled in the middle of one of them, and had given up, but perhaps I'll show my progress!
I love the wreath! I have one that N. made at school last year -- perhaps I should do matching ones for the other kids before O. is too big for handprint projects.
My parents helped me organize my crafty stuff on Monday, and now it is even more apparent how much of it I have. J. said "It looks like you're running a classroom here." Hello. They're here all day. How is it NOT a classroom? Why does my inventory never have exactly the right thing for the project, though?

CaraBee said...

Fabulous! I might try this with just some paper and use one of the empty frames for it. Sophie loves painting.

PS - I finally got my stuff together and did a project. It will go up for next week's RWOP. Sorry I've taken so long to get the ball rolling.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous!! I just love it! And, very creative to use the ceiling tiles =). I skipped last week's RWOP - the kids all had strep throat and a "stomach" virus. I had a very long week. But, I've got my post ready for this week!!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs