Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Oh, you're doing a load of towels? I have one to throw in.

I am finished. Just done.

Finished dusting.
Finished wiping tiny finger prints off three sets of French doors and an obscene built-in, mirrored shelving unit.
Finished magic erasering crayon scribbles.
Finished disassembling, stowing away, and reassembling two different pack n' plays.
Finished picking small pieces of dirt, lint, and bug carcasses off my stairs by hand because I don't know how the vacuum attachment that might do that works.
Finished rearranging the shampoos in my shower so as to cover the spot where the grout looks icky.
Finished hiding dirty dishes inside the dishwasher with clean ones just to clear out the sink.
Finished checking to make sure the blinds are open in a uniform fashion and not clumped in any spots.
Finished opening the upstairs curtains "just so" to let in the light.
Finished wiping the hairs off the bathroom floor.
Finished filling the back of my van with clean and dirty laundry, Bub's craft command center, and anything else I don't know what to do with.
Finished clearing and cleaning every flat surface in this house.
Finished turning up the heat and/or turning down the air conditioning.
Finished fiddling with the child cabinet lock so I can hide the dish soap and sponges.
Finished living without a toaster oven on the counter.
Finished turning lights on in every room of the house.
Finished straightening duvets and plumping pillows.
Finished carrying a vacuum up and down two flights of stairs.

I am finished doing all of the above seven, eight, and nine months pregnant.
I am finished doing all of the above with a new baby in the house, plus her two busy brothers.

I am finished losing patience with my kids who don't understand what all the cleaning and tension are about.
Finished being afraid to make a mess in the kitchen.
Finished being nervous to host any playdates or do any entertaining for fear that a showing might need to be scheduled during or immediately after.
Finished cleaning up until the last minute and joining my family in the "getaway van" without having had time to shower.
Finished treating the van as a second home.
Finished nursing Sweet P in the front seat of the van while checking to make sure the lookers got in the house and then timing how long they are inside.
Finished trying to analyze the relationship between length of showing and interest in house.
Finished hungering for every single piece of feedback that might be able to be gleaned from a showing.
Finished analyzing any morsel of information we receive about a potential buyer.
Finished checking the other listings in our area and trying to make sense of the market.
Finished answering the question, "How's it going with the house?"

I am finished with the never-ending cycle of hope and rejection that comes with each showing. And, NTB (??????), we have had many showings.

I am finished spending money on fast food, treats, the indoor play place, and extra babysitting to occupy the kids during showings or preparation for them.

I am finished wondering where we'll be when the school year starts or how I'll get everything packed.

I know where we will be: right here.

And it's okay. I'm sad that it did not work out for us this real estate season. I'm disappointed, sorely disappointed. At moments, I am pissed off. But mostly, I am exhausted.

I have to trust that if we were supposed to move this summer, things would have worked out that way.

I have to remember that in the grand scheme of real estate sob stories, ours is not all that sad.

I have to focus on what really matters: the family inside this home.

Are we looking forward to starting the whole process over again in 2011? We are not.

We are ready to stop wondering and stop worrying and to start living again.

I can't wait for "when we move" to enjoy life, to be my best self, to achieve some illusory state of family bliss. There's plenty of joy and happiness to be had without a front porch, a double oven, a large finished basement, built-in bookshelves, and offices for mommy and daddy.

We're closing the door to potential buyers for now, but we're keeping it open wide for all the joy and happiness and fun and friendship that can be found.

I have might have to reminded of that from time to time.


P.S. -- In case you are wondering, I have been praying to St. Joseph every day and have done the whole bit with two different statues as well. Please do not leave that piece of advice in the comments or I will weep.

P.S. #2 -- Also, I said the door is closed to potential buyers, but if you know anyone, send them our way!

P.S. #3 -- I could use a little encouragement right now. Thanks.


25 comments:

Anonymous said...

God love you!!! I hear your frustration. And, I'm sorry to hear it. It has nothing to do with what you did or didn't do and way more to do with the crazy market. Please hang in there! Rita

Stacia said...

Set up those pack-n-plays up and bolt them to the floor, never to be undone again. And get that toaster out and make yourself a Smores PopTart or something equally delicious. Most of all, prop your feet up and rest with a good book!

LAP said...

Oh MEP, it really does sound horrible. I remember the time you sat outside in the van and had to watch as your front door was left open for the full 8 minutes of the showing....maybe even killed a bee once back inside? The perfect buyer will appear once the perfect house for you becomes available in the burbs. With this one extra year, there's a better chance your boys will have a memory of how cool their first house really was.

Anonymous said...

Pardon my French (!), but it sucks! Hang in there. For some odd reason, you need to stay in that house a bit longer. In all the moves we have done, it's the only way I've explained it. Whoever said it before, pull out that toaster oven, let the laundry on the floor, and celebrate that you don't HAVE to pack and move in a hurry. [hug]. Sarah Tardivon

Anonymous said...

MEP, Have a lean cuisine pizza from the jewel...no worries if they aren't on sale a large diet coke and know that we all love you. I do believe that it will work out and that you are supposed to be in your house a little longer...Goodness knows I have wanted a crystal ball more than once in the last few years to know what will happen next but the hardest things have made me a stronger and better person. I MISS YOU and know that everything will work out in the end for the best... BDAVIN

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Hey, I've been there. With 2 little ones (no new baby, though. You win that prize!) and preschool and the crumbs and most of the toys in hiding and a husband who was traveling. IT SUCKS. A break for you guys will be good. It'll give you a chance to enjoy life again and maybe the market will look even better next summer?!? (I sure as hell hope so!!)

PLUS! Now you still have a parking spot for me for when I come to snatch you away for a night of crazy partying, right? Let me know when you're at a point when that sounds like fun again. I'd love to come and hang out!

msh said...

oh mep, i'm so sorry! it just sucks. no way around it. and, being one of the many sob stories of real estate out there, i will say, even promise, that it will eventually come to an end. and even after 4 1/2 years of stress of not selling, repairs, showings, changes, renters, offers, offers-falling-through, i-guess-we'd-better-paint, etc... in the end, the couple that bought our house is adorable, and i somehow believe that they were meant to have our house (and when we first listed it 5 years ago, they were like 19, so that wouldn't have worked). and i believe, too, that we are in the house we are meant to raise our family in. and for some reason, it all had to happen just as it did.
so hang in there sweetheart. enough with the cleaning and the living in the van. just enjoy. perhaps one more year of city living won't be so bad after all. love you.

Unknown said...

hi megan! i'm sorry to hear all this. i have to say, i have BEEN THERE. we have moved 2 times in the last 3 and 1/2 years, and went through all of your similar ups and downs. even.... having to wait on one house to sell til the following spring, taking our house off the market at thanksgiving, being sad. we had "one more cmas, new year's " etc. and i was thankful for that at least.... and do you know what happened? i wish this for you... the following spring, the first showing, the first buyer...a new season, new life.... we SOLD! so... it definitely is all happening for a reason, though you might not care about that right now. also, as for all the fixing of blinds, picking up of hair and bugs... my aunt says her house sold on the day she didn't clean it and had dishes in the sink and it finally looked LIVED in! something to think about. you cannot possibly keep that routine up forever! i am sending you a hug, your house WILL SELL to the right person. i am sending you strength so that you can live with the change of plans...obviously not going the way you wanted, and that you can make it through the winter with your dreams still strong and hope high for a great real estate season in the spring. missyou and sending lots of love and hugs! mick-er ;)

Heather said...

Lots of sympathy from Ohio...

Are you sure you buried the statues in the right spot?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding; just couldn't resist!

It will work out all in good time. Now there's a cliche not worth repeating. It sucks, no other words for it. Enjoy your time with your babies, take a breather, then reassess in the spring. Who knows, maybe the right buyer will just fall into your lap. You should put a little bio about your house on the sidebar of your blog (no address, just the basics). Maybe you'll get a buyer that way?

Hope today was a better day, Mep!

Actchy said...

Oh, MEP. Sigh. ::shakes head ruefully::

PITA said...

loves you real good pooks!

Anonymous said...

I think your house is lovely and especially like the people in it! As long as you're staying in the city awhile longer, can we please get together? Maybe a trip to the DQ?
CKM

CaraBee said...

And I was one of those awful people who asked how it was going. Ugh. Take a great big giant breath and let the dust settle for a little. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. For as much of a pessimist as I am about so many things, I can be surprisingly upbeat on this topic. I truly feel that *your* house is out there, but it just wasn't the right time. It will happen.

Look at the upside: You don't have to move with a newborn!

I miss you this weekend!

Steph said...

Good for you! I'm sure I'm about to offend someone here...but I am quite distrustful of the real estate industry, having experienced my own not-satisfying experience on more than one occasion. I think the system is messed up!

Steph said...

Good for you! I'm sure I'm about to offend someone here...but I am quite distrustful of the real estate industry, having experienced my own not-satisfying experience on more than one occasion. I think the system is messed up!

Unknown said...

I couldn't have said it better myself!! Our house has been on the market for a little over 2 years...with a child in the house the entire time! It is a nightmare! Good decision to be happy for now and try again later.

Anonymous said...

At least milk has been made available to you.

E... said...

Hoping for peace and a little joy in messiness for you for a while, and then, a happy ending to this whole sad story right around your birthday next year!
I am so glad for you that you don't have to be doing all of these things anymore. It makes me exhausted thinking about it, and I'm already always exhausted.
Also, I think it's okay if you're still pissed off about it sometimes. I would be too. Good for you for working on looking for the joy.

Wesson Family said...

We were always willing to dash and scramble as well. We were tired and needed that break, but we wanted out, even though we knew it also meant taking a bath on the sales price. "What, you're surprised I'm not getting cash back at closing?" It must have been a first for the closing agent. I'm sure they've seen many since. (We sold in 2007 with a 1-year old, not 3 kiddos). But it took us about 2 years and our "break" equated to keeping it on the market, but declining a few last minute showing requests (that we were originally always willing to drop everything for). If it worked without too much pain, then we got out of the way and presented the best we could. We also started to not worry quite as much about everything being "just so" even though all my hours on HGTV will tell you otherwise. Keep the faith, it will happen! Good luck to you.

cake said...

i'm not sure i believe in the "it's all happening for a reason" line of thinking, but i love (and admire) that you are taking matters into your own hands, and deciding to enjoy your life with your sweet family, in this house, right now!

maybe what potential buyers are missing when they see the place, is the *home* you make there? with you all out of the house, and the place looking picture perfect, they miss seeing how a family lives there. not that i am suggesting or advising a different approach. i have no idea how these things work!

i hope you can enjoy these "show free" months in peace!

dusty earth mother said...

Oh honey! Kiss kiss kiss kiss hug hug hug hug. That's what I would do if I were there and helping you through this, but because I am only your blogbuddy, I'll pray FOR you. That works, right?

Alexandra said...

Oh, Mep, I hear you. May I come bakc and borrow your encouraging readers's comments?

Anonymous said...

Having a house on the market is a rotten experience, especially in this poor economic climate. I'm so sorry you're disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan! Well it is time for you and your sweet family to kick back and have a wonderful time this week-end @ your cousin's wedding! Save a dance for me....! The last wedding I attended, and also hosted, went by in a blur of fun and festivity!
Also, I agree with "Cake". Leave the kids' crap all over the house. The potential buyer will know this home is one very happy home!!! Better yet: Leave all 3 kids with the potential buyer while you go out and do your grocery shopping!

Jessica @ One Shiny Star said...

Gah, life is so frustrating some times - but it's only as good as we make it. But I think you have have things under control, do enjoy where you are in life right now, I hope you never close the door on that. :)

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs