Thursday, August 26, 2010

Brownie Wars -- You heard it here first.













All Thumbs Thursday is finally back.

Thumbs Up
+ Family fun with the Photo Booth.
+ Let's hear it for the magical summer weather that you think about on your worst day in February -- sunny and warm with a slight breeze and no humidity -- but that really only bookends weeks of torturous heat. I may be overstating the case, but this summer was a hot one, right? Loving the milder temperatures this week.
+ I can't believe I haven't mentioned it before, but how about the fact that Coca-Cola bought the rights (or something like that) to distribute Dr. Pepper?! Although Dr. Pepper is a special treat for me (as opposed to Diet Coke, my life's blood), I just feel happy picturing Dr. Pepper and Diet Coke together on the fountains at McDonalds and Qdoba.
+ Thomas's Bagel Thins. Not quite as satisfying as biting into a fresh and fat bagel, but for 100 calories and 5 grams of fiber, I am on board.
+ The novels of Emily Giffin. Had never read one and had some false assumptions about what they were like. What are they like? Delightful. I've read two in the past few weeks and really enjoy her writing. Good insights into relationships, plenty of right-on details, and funny as well. It's such a treat to discover a new-to-me author and have more unread novels waiting for me.
+ The new season of Project Runway -- I'm just enjoying it so much. I am mesmerized and deliciously annoyed by Gretchen's uber confidence. I am charmed by Mondo and even Casanova. And, of course, there's the designer whose clothes I always want to wear: Peach. You know, the more mature contestant whose stuff bores the judges? I'm all about Peach.
+ Cupcake Wars on Food Network. I am digging this show. Yes, you have to disregard the host and his ridiculous comments which are (I think) supposed to sound all bad-ass, tough guy. You also have to disregard the charade that the contestants are totally surprised by the ingredients presented, etc. At the end of the day though, I just like thinking about cupcakes and watching people bake and frost them. Added bonus is that Bub likes the show, and we can enjoy it together, especially on evenings when he gets to "stay up late" and wait for Daddy. NTB, but Bub has pitched a competing program called Brownie Wars. He told me last night, "We'll need a 'bideo' camera mom. What kind of brownies will you make? Mine will have blueberry, nutmeg, and cinnamon." I'll let you know how those turn out.
+ Peanut. Butter. M & Ms. I cannot get enough.
+ "Staycation" with my whole family last week at my parents. Lots of fun, food, and family bonding. The week kicked off with my beautiful cousin's wedding.
+ Sweet P's face when she rolls over from her back to her belly and then lifts her little head up to look all around. So stinking cute and so proud of herself!
+ Aarti Party -- I'm RSVPing "yes."
+ School starts on Monday. Bub is so excited, and I am looking forward to having a bit more shape to our days and to the social interaction the school year brings for all of us.

I'm too lazy to find much to complain about so I'll skip the "thumbs down" for this week -- a sign that all is well in my world!

What's thumbs up/thumbs down for you these days? Please share in the comments.


Disclaimer: No one has paid me or offered me free products in exchange for attention on this blog.


16 comments:

LAP said...

How do you read two books in a week? Anyway, truly happy to read about all the thumbs up in your world. I love that Bub knows about nutmeg.
Well, some thumbs up for us include a trip to kings island by myself with all three girls today and it was actually enjoyable. I'll also mention a full social calendar for kids and adults both as we pack in as much fun as possible before school starts next week. Loving that my baby girl is learning more words every day and once a day finds a reason to use my first name instead of mom...way more adorable than disrespectful at this stage.
Thumbs down to the die hard soccer coach who opted for Friday night practices for my 4 year old. Really?

CaraBee said...

Thumbs Up:
-These cooler late summer days. They make summer seem so desirable. A fitting end, I think.
-Sophie sleeping until after 7 every day, even 8 once!, we've been here. I am quite certain that she will go back to getting up at 5:45 as soon as we get back to Baltimore, but man has it been nice.
-Sonic cherry limeades. They are so good.
-Mockingjay finally came out! Its waiting for me on the Nook when I get home. Can. Not. Wait.

Thumbs Down
-My diet has totally derailed. I am terrified to step on a scale. Ugh.

Miss Welcome said...

Hey cute pics!!

I have to try that author - I'm stuck for good books (so hard to get here in France too!).

Let's see - thumbs up. School starts next week and my husband will take a couple of days off. I'm waiting for an estimate to see how much hair extensions cost - maybe I'll have a beautiful head of hair! Our work on the house is almost done.

Thumbs down - work on the house is not yet done.

Heather said...

The photos of your cousin's wedding are amazing! What's up with all the candy, though? Bet the kids were loving that!

Thumbs up to great new authors! And reading in general. LOVE to read. And to this awesome weather...love having the house opened up and falling asleep to the sound of crickets :)

Thumbs down to organic chemistry and genetics finals, which are cutting in to my "pleasure" reading time.

kenz said...

ahh I give a double thumbs up to project runway. Now that the Bachelor is over, I needed something else to get hooked on to. I am loooving it this season. Gretchen, I would agree...while I cant stand her confidence..I was also almost in tears this week when she was in the bottom two...ahhh. I have become quite the fan of Cassanova..more because I enjoy listening to him talk :)

cute pics of the whole crew..I am especially a fan of Bit's "angry face" in the top right pic

brainella said...

Peanut butter M&Ms are amazing.

School started Monday and Dominic now has a week under his belt. He's quite happy in kindergarten. This has been a stressful week for me for some reason. :-(

Did you know they are making Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin into a movie?

Actchy said...

Thumbs up:
Cooler weather. Or, dare I say, "Cooler weather!"

Acey sleeping until 7 and 8 am for the first time ever this week.

Thumbs down:
The fact that someone snuck into my room last week while I was sleeping and replaced my feet and ankles with those of Fred Flintstone.

Acey's 102.4 degree fever which has him up half the night, causing him to sleep later in the morning, which truly isn't a good trade-off.

Maggie said...

just made my morning looking at Maggie's wedding pics. Gorgeous and everyone looks so happy.

Love your pics too, adorable.

Anonymous said...

Thumbs up, a clean house.
Thumbs down, all out of town families have returned to their homes.
Thumbs up, watermelons have grown very big and there are eight of them in my garden.
Thumbs down, forget to let kids pick and eat them.
Thumbs up, beautiful weather and a very busy autumn which I am looking forward to.

Loved the pictures. Saw an old picture the other day, Sweet Pea look just like Boo in that picture.
m

dusty earth mother said...

Peanut.Butter.M&Ms.Rock.

You're so smart. You, woman, are your own thumbs-up.

cake said...

i am afraid to try the peanut butter m&ms. i know i will love them.

i love your family photo booth! so cute!

Stacia said...

Emily Giffin! I. Devour. Her. Books. (Usually with a bag of M&Ms at my side.)

My Thumbs Up Thursday (though, um, it's Monday, so I'm a few days behind) is three kids sleeping and some time to catch up on my favorite blogs. Hoo-freakin'-ray!

Mrs.Mayhem said...

Yay! You have no complaints! That's a magical state to be in, isn't it?!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

No thumbs down! Yay!!

katandkarl said...

Thanks for stopping by from my Blog Trotting post - much appreciated. You would NOT believe the arguments over types of cheese dips amongst our friends and families. It's out of hand. But we DO HAVE Dr. Pepper EVERYWHERE. People down south love the Dr. Pepper! P.S. I love Emily Giffin as well!

Melissa Walters said...

love cupcake wars too! i so wish you could taste them through the tv...well some of them. when they went to sea world, I could skip some of the seafood cupcakes :)

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs