Wednesday, February 8, 2012

RWOP: So-so Diggity

When I started this blog almost five years ago, I didn't foresee a future where I'd post photos of my children's dinner. But here we are. Me, you, and some corn dog muffins, inspired by this Pinterest pin about mini corn dog muffins.

I've discovered that my operating procedure for Pinterest projects is as follows: look at the photo, glance once at the original post, give it a whirl.

So for the mini corn dog muffins, I thought, "I have two boxes of corn muffin mix and some hot dogs, let's go." I photographed the whole process, but since my final product was iffy, I'm not going to tease/insult you with a detailed play-by-play.

I followed the directions on the box, sliced my hot dogs in paranoid no-choke slivers, and let the kids stick them in the middle of the muffin cups.
Here they are fresh out of the oven. Although the appearance is a bit uneven, I think the slivers were a good call. I don't know that I would have felt comfortable having one large, circular, brownish/pinkish disc in the middle of each rounded muffin.
If I had more than glanced at the original pin, I would have noted the need to spray the muffin tins. I think it would have taken A LOT of spray, but the results might have been better than trying to peel the bitty cupcake liners off the crumbly corn muffins. With a little practice, I developed some finesse in unwrapping them, but still, greased tins would have been better. [PLEASE, please, please, I'm begging you, please notice the fruit that is also on the plate.]
Though it wasn't pretty, the oldest and the youngest ate about three each. The guy featured above polished off six.

Honestly? I'd try it again. The kids seemed excited about the project even though the final product was crumbly. Next time, I'd spray the tins and try to figure out how to incorporate more protein.

Any Pinteresting in your neck of the woods? Send photos to mep AT nottobrag DOT net or link up blog posts below.

Until next week, march on, Real Women of Pinterest. Maybe the week to come will be the one where I find about twenty extra hours somewhere.

8 comments:

E... said...

I haven't gotten around to these yet, though I am sure they would be a big hit with one member of the family. Maybe a Valentine's treat? O. loves when I make "Biscuit Surprise" (ie: hot dogs or whatever other meat we have and cheese hidden in between two refrigeratar biscuits and baked.) May still get to RWOP today -- spotty internet all week, finally resolved after a painful 45 minute tech support call. Argh.

Stacia said...

I, too, am a fan of the paranoid no-choke sliver. And your fruit contribution to the meal is duly noted. =>

Gonna post my RWoP tomorrow!

Tiffany said...

My kids would love these!!! I'm linked up for the first time even though I've been reading for a while. :)

Anonymous said...

These actually sound really good! Do they taste similar to corn dogs? Love the smiley picture!!

I have noted the fruit.

CaraBee said...

I do believe we have the same approach to directions. I'm more of a skimmer than a thorough reader. UNTIL things go south and then I'm cursing myself for not reading the blasted footnotes. AGAIN. The definition of insanity, right? Anyway, I'll definitely give these a go and I will be sure to spray the muffin tins! :)

Unknown said...

He looks like he's in pain, but those actually look tasty. Nice job Mommy.

Anonymous said...

If you used the jiffy corn muffin mix, it's not your fault they were crumbly...it's the mix.

Tricia @ Take 10 With Tricia said...

I've been wondering if those were any good or worth trying. Thanks...I'll give it a whirl. I'm sure the kids will love it.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs