Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ta Na . . .

I'm back . . . almost. I still have several dissertation and graduation deadlines in my future, but I met the most important one last week. As always seems to be the case with me, the exhilaration of finishing does not quite match the anxiety of preparing. I tend to focus on the next task instead of feeling relieved about the most recently completed one. Still, I am proud and pleased and looking forward to really having something to celebrate soon!

In the meantime, I thought I would share a few funny things my Bub is doing and saying.*

"That for me?" "You buy that for me?" "You make that for me?" -- Whether it is a box of kleenex, a new bottle of ketchup, a tube of Desitin, or a pan of brownies, the Bub seems endlessly delighted with the prospect that these items came into our home just for him.

"After nap, Barney coming over to play." "Pick up Caillou at Burger Ting [sic]." -- The Bub has imaginary friends now, many inspired by television characters. Considering my own past with Dandy and Shusha, I am thrilled by this development and play along as best I can.

"I want dog mine own." -- Bub told me this after he got to pet the dog of one of his classmates. I never in my whole life thought I would be a dog owner. I just didn't. But, my Bub loves dogs. Over the weekend, we visited Navy Pier and happened upon a pet-adoption event. Bub chose the ugliest, scrawniest, most pathetic looking dog in the place (seriously, the dog weighed like seven pounds and had huge clumps of lusterless gray hair missing) and gave him lots of love and attention. Though we are not ready to welcome a dog (and, I'll be honest, especially not the dog from the adoption fair) into our home, what with all the other poop we have to clean up, I now know it will happen one day. Bub's 7th Birthday, his Daddy hopes. I'll keep you posted.

"Peeze" and "Tank you." -- He's been saying these things for a while now, but they never fail to warm my heart.

"I made a lot of poop. I need a lot a lot of lemonems. Daddy lemonems." Though my attitude about the whole thing has relaxed significantly since it became apparent that he does not need to be totally potty-trained for his pre-preschool program, the Bub has caught steam lately. Just this evening, he pooped on the potty right before his bath. Loyal NTB readers know what a big deal it is for me to be able to discuss poop and bathtime together in a positive fashion. I purchased some M & M Premiums as a little birthday treat for the hubby (33 last Monday), and the Bub seems especially motivated by them as potty prizes (I haven't sampled them myself because they are mint, and I don't enjoy mint-flavored stuff -- these M & M's are beautiful though, little works of art and I'm not kidding).

"Ta na . . . " -- Said often with a huge smiles in situations where one might normally say "Ta da."

"I love my treasure chest." -- Bub found the "treasure chest" in the basement yesterday. I was mighty skeptical when my husband carried it upstairs for him, but after establishing a "treasure stays on the table"-rule, it has been great. He happily stacked, organized, and knocked over his "treasures" for a good part of today. The fact that the chest can be slammed shut and that it comes with a key for locking and unlocking (or pretending to do so) is an added bonus.

Here is the "treasure chest" . . .


Ta na!!!


Even as I write this, I regret the million cute things he has said and done over the past few months, NTB, that I have been too busy to record for posterity. Stay tuned.

What's the cutest/funniest thing a toddler in your life has said recently? Please share in a comment.


*A post devoted to my Little Bit is coming soon. I want there to be photos with it, and I am behind on my uploading. Let me just say that he is so happy and sweet that I almost forget that I still wake to feed him at least twice a night!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one story you forgot to mention was what Bub asked for last week before I went to California. I told Bub that I was going on a work trip and he promptly asked, "Will you bring me something?" I replied, "Sure. What do you want?". He thought about it for a minute and then said, "How bout money?" Being a finance guy, this warmed my heart. However, he further clarified, "Money for the babies." His pre-school gave him a baby bottle to collect change in with all proceeds going to a charity that helps babies. Bub was not being selfish but charitable, NTB.

PITA said...

I can hear each of these expressions coming out of the Bub's mouth..so cute! NTB

Anonymous said...

The cute things the Bub says go perfectly with his smile that lights up a room, ntb. m

CaraBee said...

I love the cute things that toddlers say. Mine doesn't say anything even remotely understandable yet, although I enjoy putting words in her mouth. The only one that pops in to my mind is from a visit to the zoo recently where my friend's 3-year-old announced upon spying a little person* pushing a stroller, "THAT MOMMY IS WITTLE!"

*Is that the pc term these days? Dwarf? I'm pretty sure they don't like Elf or Sprite.

Actchy said...

Who is sweeter than a boy who delights over his own bottle of ketchup? So adorable.

When my niece was about 3 and a half, she used to get so excited about telling her stories that it seemed her mind went faster than her mouth. Consequently, she'd get stuck on certain words, and repeat them, often several times over.

She once called my mom, who answered the phone with "Hello?" only to hear the little one say, "Grana! My, um, my...um...my boogers....my boogers....

Um... my boogers, my boogers...my boogers, my boogers...

Um. Um. My, um, boogers.....Um, my boogers...my boogers....my boogers. Boogers. My um, boogers..

...are gone."

E... said...

Oh, thanks for the bubdate! I was just thinking I was missing hearing about his little world. Look forward to hearing from Little Bit, too. O. has recently acquired (adopted/developed/created? what's the verb here?) an imaginary friend too. His name is "Daynan" and yesterday, when O. got marker on the floor, chair and his face, he told me: "When I play with Daynan, sometimes he draws on things. Like me."

Michelle said...

I love this post. Having just seen the bub, I'm delighted to have witnessed some of these expressions. He is just precious!

cake said...

actchy, that is so funny that you told that story about your niece! your brother told it to me when it happened, and i just shared it with carl two days ago! cosmo has started telling stories, from things that happen when he is away from us (at pre-school) and he often will pause, get stuck on a word, and you can just see the little wheels turning in there, as he's trying to think of the words.

i love the cute things the bub is saying. this morning cosmo woke up from a dream and insisted that i had just told him that he could play "poisson rouge" (a website for little ones, that he ADORES). i had to inform him that it was just a dream, that he's not getting on the computer first thing in the morning! he kept insisting, "but you said i could!"
devastating!

Anonymous said...

love the post of course! and it just makes me miss you and your sweet boys! we're going to have to figure out something sometime soon!!!!

and the day you get a dog, i will ...well, i'm not sure what i'll do, but it will be something really crazy. what if bridget gets one too?!?!?!?

Anonymous said...

I love the stories, too. I love the stuff the kids come up with!
You BHS girls will like this one...
We have been talking about first names and last names, and 'whole' names. And Lily now knows her first and last name and my first and last name and daddy's and grandma and pap-pap's.(NTB) And she's been calling me Mommy Delaney all the time. (Delaney is my maiden name and her middle name, btw) So, the other morning she woke up and started calling for me. Mommmmmy, Mom, mommmmmmy, etc.
Then she started calling, 'Sawah Dewaney!!! Sawah Dewaney!!! Where are you??? Open the gate'
Adam and I stood out in the hall laughing for a good couple of minutes before we went in to get her because it was so funny!!!!

Totallyscrappy said...

I absolutely wish I had written down more of thier cute sayings... and mine aren't too far removed from toddlerhood. But, wow, am I glad potty training is over. Keep up the M&M reward system!

Steph said...

Congrats to you! My best friend just finished her PhD - she defended last Friday. It's such a special thing!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs